Looking for opinions from rex owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Default Looking for opinions from rex owners

Hello all,

Coming from a huge sport bike background. Do everything from weekend tours to track days. Sold my 05 ZX10 in favor of something more towards the sport touring side. Being from Quebec our registration costs are jumping from 300 per year to 1800 for sport bikes, so I think that helps me into my decision also.
Question is I’ve narrowed it down to the Rex, FZ1 and the VFR. Each has is pros and cons for me, the obvious for the VFR being the power (or lack of). Anyone have any opinions which may help. I’ve read as much as I can about each but would like to hear from owners. Since you can never (almost) try one this is the next best thing. Thanks for the help.

bobo

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for opinions from rex owners

why are they raising the registration so much for sportbikes? ouch! Thats more than my registration, insurance and fuel for the whole year.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow that is crazy high just for reg.[&:]

Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I am a proud owner of 2 ZRX's. It is a great bike. It's not the most powerful, only 113hp stock. I think the Fizzy is like 125 stock. The ZRX has a little better low end torque. I think is has better asthetics that the Fizzy.
It's not as nimble as your ZX10, but it can hold it's own. I know plenty of guys who do track days on them and they can hang with the sport bikes. It has a better riding positon then the VFR. The VFR is like your 10, a sport bike positon. With the REX, you are sitting more upright, like an old UJM.

The REX is a great multi purpose bike. You can throw a set of saddlebags on it and ride cross country. When you get there, you can adjust the suspension and hit the twisties. It's great 2 up bike, but the stock seat sucks big time. Corbin and Sargent make great aftermarket seats for them.

I just like the looks of the ZRX better. I grew up in the '70 riding old Kawasaki KZ's. It has that great muscle bike look.
You can also pick them up for a decent price.

Check out my photo album to see mine. I have an '01 and an '05. The '05 is pretty much stock. The '01 has a few mods.
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions.

I heard about the registration hike in Canada. I have know a few people who live there told me about it last fall. They also ride REXes.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 AM

Definitely prefer the rex looks, I’m in my late 30’s so that old school superbike look goes along way. If I did get one I’d most likely open the motor up, I hear they respond super well to simple mods. Thanks for the input I was hoping to hear touring wouldn’t be an issue since that was my only draw toward the VFR.
As for the registration fiasco. Simply put the Quebec Government doesn’t want sport bikes on the roads anymore. They spin it a ton of different ways but that’s the truth of the matter. Unfortunately we have had some negative press and public opinion seems to be anti sport bike as well. We don’t make up enough of the voting population to make a difference. Plain and simple we’re getting raped…prison style !

bobo

Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

A pipe and jet kit will get you around 120 - 122 hp. A pipe, jet kit, and pods with get you around 130-135 hp. Same but with ZZR cams around 140, and a 1224 kit gets you around 160 and 100 ft pounds of torque.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
A pipe and jet kit will get you around 120 - 122 hp. A pipe, jet kit, and pods with get you around 130-135 hp. Same but with ZZR cams around 140, and a 1224 kit gets you around 160 and 100 ft pounds of torque.
Hi KevyzToy, sounds like you know quite a bit about how to get these bad boys a little meaner than stock. I've been riding for the past 12 years (KX250, Ninja ZX-6R and yamaha R6) and just this month bought a 2000 ZRX1100 from a nice fella up in LaGrande, OR. Could you explain a little more about the 1224 kit? As in, where I could get one and what exactly it does? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
The REX is a great multi purpose bike. You can throw a set of saddlebags on it and ride cross country. When you get there, you can adjust the suspension and hit the twisties. It's great 2 up bike, but the stock seat sucks big time. Corbin and Sargent make great aftermarket seats for them.
WOW just came across this old thread.....registration that high is ridiculous! I can't believe it. Do you actually see any sport bikes on the road? I would think that just about eliminates everyone but the diehards.

Also, I've seen many good looking REXs with saddlebags like this guy says and they look good. Don't know too much about the seats thouogh...