Z750 LTD Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Z750 LTD Rebuild

Hello all. I'm New here and I'm taking on the task of rebuilding / cleaning an 81 z750 LTD motor. It's going to be taken off the bike and maintained and then put back on the bike. Problems were...
Loss of power
Slow rev
Rough start
Rough idle
Cold air out right ride exhaust
Bad plug
Dirty carbs
Dirty gummed manifold
Low compression.

Now is there a checklist way To go about doing this?

Just want to hear some thoughts ideas.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF, good luck with the build!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm hoping to get some information from someone who has worked on one of these engines as I have almost no motorcycle experience but I am mechanically inclined and have built and worked on several I-4 Honda engines

Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

SanFran, give us a bit more history on the bike if you have any. Since it is at least running (but poorly) I would begin with general fundamentals, then progress to specific remaining problem areas. For example, clean gunk from all affected areas, fresh plugs, filters, fluids, check tolerances, torques, compression, inspect/replace usual wear parts (carb boots, seals, gaskets, etc.), look for odd wear points and why, any restrictions (mouse nest in the header pipes...), then fire it up and refine any remaining problem areas.
Welcome to KF. Keep us posted!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

How many miles on this engine? Age is a killer to the rubber parts as mentioned. What were your compression test readings?

I am lazy, so generally the engine stays in place for general checks and adjustments.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Welcome to KF

How many miles on this engine? Age is a killer to the rubber parts as mentioned. What were your compression test readings?

I am lazy, so generally the engine stays in place for general checks and adjustments.
Thanks guys for the response. This is going to be a big project or me.
It's been sitting probably 10 years. Head gasket blown so no at least 2 dead cylinders. Remaining 2 probably only get about 80-100 psi each.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Would a top end gasket set for a KZ750 work for a KZ750 LTD?
Also, what's the difference betwix the two? =p

Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Since you are talking about the 4 cyl engine KZ and not of the KZ twin, then I would think that the head gasket would fit. (spendy buggers it seems as well for oem)

I am not a historian nor a mechanic, but I think that the main differences were the drive setup. The LTD being belt driven, the KZ being chain driven, the spectre being shaft driven. And of course kawi had the twin cyl and the 4 cyl versions. (must have been under new management or something. lol)

Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Since you are talking about the 4 cyl engine KZ and not of the KZ twin, then I would think that the head gasket would fit. (spendy buggers it seems as well for oem)

I am not a historian nor a mechanic, but I think that the main differences were the drive setup. The LTD being belt driven, the KZ being chain driven, the spectre being shaft driven. And of course kawi had the twin cyl and the 4 cyl versions. (must have been under new management or something. lol)
Hey dragone that's awesome news. Thanks! The LTD that I'm going to be working on is chain drive. Can't get the damn chain off primary sprocket to remove motor. Is terr a master link? Looking through the specs, it looks like if I remove or loosen anything from primary shaft, I'll be opening up a can of worms :x.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If it is a continuous chain, either break the chain or pull the swing arm as in all rides.

edit: This has been my buddy, any grinding wheels and tools are optional.

Name:  Chaintool.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  67.9 KB

Quick Reply: Z750 LTD Rebuild