The Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away.

wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wheelie

i rode dirtbikes as a kid and i feel comfortable gettin the wheel in the air. keepin it there scares the crap outta me lol. now i have fixed my old bike i wanna do slow parkin lot stuff. anyway, i saw this video when i was startin to learn the wheelies on my street bike. it works, be safe and ALWAYS wear your gear. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91590638402466

Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

alot of ppl say that you don't NEED to change gearing to lern wheelies and all..
me personally?
i learned wheelie control on my XR-50, and everything translates well to big bikes. but i love riding a geared up bike.. its just so slow and controllable
(slow stuff all the way.. F the fast chit)

i found that (of course i'm geared up..the F4i is21 up...) i can set the idle to about 3 grand, and i feather the clutch while taking the revs to about 6-8krpm.. i don't drop the clutch at that rev.

on stock gearing, i do this as well.. works nicely on most of the bikes i've ridden.

anyway.. what i mean (in further detail) about my little underlined statement is that i "catch" the clutch action while adding gas.. i feather the clutch out while on my way to what would equate to an 8000 rpm rev, but i'm not going to see that speed because of engine loading AND the fact that im gonna let off to catch idle and let the 3000 rpm idle speed carry the bike when its at the b.p.

you can just "drop" the clutch, but its just so more controllable to simultaneously bringing the revs up and let the clutch out.. very consitent way of doing it..

depends on what style you're using.. whether you're riding "staggered" (right foot on the brake, left foot on the seat or passenger peg) or whether you're doing a rear peg stand-up, seat stander, or whatever else.. the balance point changes for each one..
it's WAY WAY harder to clutch up a highchair then it is a rear peg or 12-bar wheelie.. all the weight transfer effects the center of gravity and traction.

the biggest thing is to get into the habit of slowly working towards the b.p. and most importantly, getting in the habit of using the rear brake for control. i couldn't do it at first, but its an absolute must for anyone not riding a (stunt) bike with a hand brake on it.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

carefull your 05 zx10 fairing is held up by the ram air tube and on hard landings have been know to break.
ORIGINAL: sg1982

id also appriacate some advise i have a zx10 nothin crazy but just bring it up abitt if im next to some girlys at 30 or 40 mile its an 05 model