The Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away.

wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: wheelie

how easy is it to flip over...98 zx 6r been practicing in 1stgoing to 5-6 rpmthen slipping the clutch to 8-9rpm.. it comes up but then i let off the throttle...afraid it will flip over... and 2nd i cant even get it off the ground

Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

In no way am I promoting wheelies or of my knowledge in them. My zx7: changed the rear shock and changed preload on it only, stock front was stock and stiff. First gear on the hwy, took to 10,5k where the meat is and go to second gear. Roughly 65mph on the shift, nice second gear rides at 11:00 to where you need to tilt your head to the side to see and pass and weave in traffic. The guys behind me said my tire was smoking during this ordeal. So just know your rides and feel comfy. Wheelies can be tough on your ride so keep that in mind. ie oil loss, head stem, and frame are the first to come into mind. I will not mention my 10r in this.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Ok here is my part of the question, wheelies aren't that difficult but then again I raced motocross for several years. Letting the front end down at close to (or over) 100mph is what gets me... I rode a buddies cbr929rr and stood it up for several hundred feet but when I set the front end down it landed hard and I got some tankslap! That was a little hairy to say the least. Whats the trick? I'm guessing you get back in the throttle as your letting the front end come down? Does a steering damper help?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM

I've found the best way for me and my bike (ZX9R,YMMV), is to keep the throttle smooth as I bring the front down, don't try and fight the slap, just keep the wheel pointing straight ahead as it hit's the road. Keep your arms loose and the bike will settle itself, takes a while to get your head around not fighting it but that's what works for me, the more you try and fight it the harder it shakes.
Keep the wheel pointing straight ahead is the biggest thing,
My bike has no steering damper either.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 PM

you guys are nuts, I don't see my self ever attempting a wheelie.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 AM

Hey sometimes they just happen, dips in track, cresting a rise with it wound up tight, Fast bikes ridden hard don't need much encouragement to wheelie.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Yes my GPR steering dampener helps tons. Keeps the wheel from cocking off to one side while pulling it up and dialed in at 4.5to5 keeps completely stops the tankslap. Not to mention at 175MPH I can take my left hand off the bar! Smooth as ****!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Wheelies are fun, but you have to be really careful! My XO got messed up pretty bad when he was learning to do wheelies. The CO made him address the whole company about it. I guess he was trying to power up and he landed with the wheel off-center.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Adi

Come one then .... some one teach me a step by step 'clutch' wheelie... Ive tried the roll off/roll on trick but can only seem to do it in 1st and at very high revs.

Ive got an '02 636 but only been ridin since last summer (UK)

Cheers lads/lasses

Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

id also appriacate some advise i have a zx10 nothin crazy but just bring it up abitt if im next to some girlys at 30 or 40 mile its an 05 model

Quick Reply: wheelie