Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

1st track trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Default 1st track trip

Well I decided to take a trip to the dragstrip with a few friends to see what my ZX7-R would run in an 1/8. I was not that impressed with what I run but, being the first time at the track I can only improve. I was the 3rd fastest bike there but got beat by a ZZR 600 that my friend had. My best run was a 7.978 @95.669 mph. Reaction time was a .273 and 60 foot was a 2.174. I guess it is ok for a stock bike with a fairly new rider, but I thought it would be faster. What would be some recomandations to improve my times?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1st track trip

Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice
Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice Pracice Practice Practice

Old 07-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Exactly NS.....

Running drags is a lot more work than people realize. It is all about improving times. What was the temp that day? What was you air set at? At what RPM did you launch at? ETC.... Now you need to log all this info, then learn from it and apply it to the next race. Do you need to drop your air pressure in the rear by 1-2 lbs? Do you need to tie down the front to launch at higher RPMs? Was it humid that day? If it was, do you need to recalibrate the carbs to compensate?

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but there are a lot of variables. A lot. There is a whole science to it. Next time you go out, drop your rear air by 2 lbs, change yourlaunch position, etc, and see if that improves. Definately hit the play days at the track to test and tune. Try not to change more than 1 or 2 things at a time, and see what gives you the best results, then improve from there.

Get you a log sheet of temps, humidity, track temp, air adjusts, rider positions, etc.... Jegs is a good spot to pick up some of this stuff. Def get your own point and shoot temp gauge. Temp makes a huge difference in launch, hook up, etc....

Gl man.....

Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

That ain't bad at all. When I brought my bike to the track I ran a 7.967 at 97.74 mph in the 1/8 mile and 11.99 at 120.95 mph in the 1/4 on that same run. It's all about the launch, especially on a short 1/8 mile track.