Sights 'N Sounds Upload and Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Kawasaki's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Customised KX500 street motocrosser with colour TV. Will it run after 23 years? Part

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Default Customised KX500 street motocrosser with colour TV. Will it run after 23 years? Part

I'm restoring my 1985 Kawasaki KX500 street bike after it being in storage for 23 years.
This is part 1 of what will be a very long series probably lasting quite a few months.
I've almost finished parts 2 and 3 which cover polishing the front caliper and swingarm.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

This is gonna be interesting.... Talk about one crazy supermoto!

Old 02-27-2020, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Following and waiting for the first fire up!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:17 PM

This is what I've done since dismantling the bike in January.

The frame, rear spring and side stand have been powder coated, but I polished, cleaned or painted the rest myself in my kitchen.

I've just started editing video number 12.

Polishing the front brake caliper that is in two halves, polishing the swingarm, polishing the wheels, and painting whitewalls on the tyres have their own 30 minute or longer videos as they were masses of work.

I've started dismantling the engine which needs a piston ring, but because it's a vintage bike now, I can't find one in the UK so I've ordered one from USA.

The engine will have to stay dismantled for about a month till that comes, then I can rebuild and paint it.

Still to do:

I've to decide on colours/graphics and paint the petrol tank, side panels and fairing, but I'm probably going to ditch the old fairing and do something different maybe with stainless steel.

The exhaust needs dents filled then painted, the seat will need re-covered, the electrics are a mess so need done again from scratch.

I can start building up everything in the image onto the frame so it will start to look more complete soon.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:53 PM

This is what I've done since dismantling the bike in January.

The frame, rear spring and side stand have been powder coated, but I polished, cleaned or painted the rest myself in my kitchen.

I've just started editing video number 12.

Polishing the front brake caliper that is in two halves, polishing the swingarm, polishing the wheels, and painting whitewalls on the tyres have their own 30 minute or longer videos as they were masses of work.

I've started dismantling the engine which needs a piston ring, but because it's a vintage bike now, I can't find one in the UK so I've ordered one from USA.

The engine will have to stay dismantled for about a month till that comes, then I can rebuild and paint it.

Still to do:

I've to decide on colours/graphics and paint the petrol tank, side panels and fairing, but I'm probably going to ditch the old fairing and do something different maybe with stainless steel.

The exhaust needs dents filled then painted, the seat will need re-covered, the electrics are a mess so need done again from scratch.

I can start building up everything in the image onto the frame so it will start to look more complete soon.