Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

UNIX OR LENIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: UNIX OR LENIX

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

So what are you running FN? I'm not a big fan of Linux myself, but I'll take it over Windows. I prefer FreeBSD Unix. However, these days I like Mac OS X for my desktop, which happens to be FreeBSD based underneath. FreeBSD still runs my mail, web, spam filtering, and firewall, etc.

Well we both know it's a Mach kernel, derived from BSD. So it's as about BSD as the TCP/IP stacks most operating systems use (eeeeh, all of 'em?). I love mac hardware, but I dislike a lot of stuff about their user interface. It's like they went out of their way to make sure you forget about right clicking, and threw any hotkey combo you knew out the window.

Rock on!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nemo636

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

So what are you running FN? I'm not a big fan of Linux myself, but I'll take it over Windows. I prefer FreeBSD Unix. However, these days I like Mac OS X for my desktop, which happens to be FreeBSD based underneath. FreeBSD still runs my mail, web, spam filtering, and firewall, etc.

Well we both know it's a Mach kernel, derived from BSD. So it's as about BSD as the TCP/IP stacks most operating systems use (eeeeh, all of 'em?). I love mac hardware, but I dislike a lot of stuff about their user interface. It's like they went out of their way to make sure you forget about right clicking, and threw any hotkey combo you knew out the window.

Rock on!
Yes, the Mach microkernel at the lowest levels, but nearly the entire user land of Unix tools is based directly off 4.x FreeBSD, even the man pages are the same ... probably a distinction important only in the most technical of discussions. I wasn't sure if the finer points would be relevant here, considering Linux is mis-spelled in the first post.

As for the interface, just plug in a 5-button mouse w/scroll wheel and they all work naturally. I have no idea why Macs use a 1-button mouse. I can't stand using one and the first thing I did was replace it with a decent Logitech.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

It's not a web browser, and has little to do with web browsing. It is an operating system, and for many things it is better than windows.

If you are stuck with windows and are not able to take the months and years to learn *nix, I would recommend using Firefox as a web browser.
I knew it wasnt a web browswer but thats what i normally use my computer for is browsing for ****. thats why i was asking

and nemo my brother recomended ubunto thats what i was gonna use on here. Hes gonna let me borrow his cd that he has of it. I tried to download it and copy it to a cd but it wouldnt let me

Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firstninjabike

I knew it wasnt a web browswer but thats what i normally use my computer for is browsing for ****. thats why i was asking
And yet we are not surprised.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

My new PC [8D]

Name:  pc2.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  vidcard.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

i hear vista sucks donkey *****

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firstninjabike

i hear vista sucks donkey *****

I've been using Vista on a brand new laptop at work for about 8 months now and not only does it not suck, but its a huge improvement over XP and trust me I've been using XP and loving it since I bought my home laptop and desktop 7 years ago. I still laugh at the Mac versus PC commercials, not because I don't believe that a mac is better or not or anything but they are just funny. Anyway IMO Vista is just fine.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually maybe I should have said that Vista is different and I like it a lot, not that it is improved. See even in an operating system I get overly excited[8D][8D][8D]

Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

vista likes to onse into what youre doing.. the whole "caution, something is about to happen... continue??" aggrevates me alot

Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

you can turn that **** off

Quick Reply: UNIX OR LENIX