Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Thank God for good armor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Default Thank God for good armor

Well thank god for good armor in my riding jacket. This stupid, ignorant cager clipped my elbow today!!!!! I'd been riding about 2 hours and was making a left turn. Now let me describe the intersection. It's a four-way intersection. I have a yellow flashing light and both of the other sides have a red flashing light and a stop sign. I was turning left and three huge trucks were heading my way. Rather than chance it, I decided to let them pass first and then turn left. There was a truck coming up behind me, but I could tell he was slowing down and there was a cruiser of some kind to my right.

I had my hands on the grips, both feet down, left turn signal on, and was kinda leaned over my tank stretching; waiting for traffic to pass by. As the first truck passed me on the left, something hit my right elbow! When I looked to my right I saw the end of the truck (that used to be behind me) passing me!!!! He didn't have another lane, wasn't off the edge of the road. He just decided to try to push me out of his way. His mirror hit my elbow. Stupid MF!!!!

The cruiser rider caught my eye and turned right after the truck (even though I'm pretty sure he was orignally headed straight). I made a wobbly left turn 'cause I was kinda shaken up. Got to a decent place to pull off and caught my breath. What a frickin' jerk!!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Thank God for good armor

Glad to hear that you are okay! Some people these days.......are idiots!

Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Glad here also, Sometimes it dosen't mater how much you do to be safe. Dam cagers [:@]

Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 PM

Yeah now I see why so many of my friends are going "track only" with their bikes. I just can't give up riding street though. It costs too much to only ride track! I think it's time for all of us to start writing to our state representatives and get some better law enforcement for riders. This past weekend a group of cruisers experienced an encounter with a deer. A rider went down after hittting the deer and the passenger was run over by a car who fled the scene. I say, screw the trial. Just give us a motorcycle chain when you find the driver. [:@]

Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Violet_Vixen

Yeah now I see why so many of my friends are going "track only" with their bikes. I just can't give up riding street though. It costs too much to only ride track! I think it's time for all of us to start writing to our state representatives and get some better law enforcement for riders. This past weekend a group of cruisers experienced an encounter with a deer. A rider went down after hittting the deer and the passenger was run over by a car who fled the scene. I say, screw the trial. Just give us a motorcycle chain when you find the driver. [:@]
Glad to hear you're okay!! Something tells me I wouldn't wanna be the driver of that truck if you ever found him.....

Old 10-17-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to make a social commentary on all this but it all stems from the fact that everyone is looking out for number one, namely themselves, and screw everybody else. Now let me put a disclaimer on this little statement and say not everyone is like this but those that are, well, you know them.

Reckless motorist or get out of MY way I'm in a hurry:

You see them driving, with cell phones, turning into your lane without signals, doing the damndest things. No they're not reckless. They just don't care that you're there! You better get out of their way or they will run you over.

Hit-and-run drivers:

Used to be a time when people would own up to their wrongdoing. These days? Blech. If you get hit it's almost a given the driver will run, just be lucky they don't try to back up into you. No witnesses. Again, what do they care? They're looking out for their own well-being. And you? You're just an obstacle on the road.

Gun-toting idiots:

Got cut off by an SUV some time back (i was in a car), driver was on the cell. He very nearly clipped my front left side and the guy behind me almost ran into me as I had to stop so suddenly. The SUV guy, no turn signals, no indication just gets in my lane and fits himself into a space that looked like less than half a car length's worth. We stop at the light and stop right next to him and I ask him to roll his windows down. I then tell him that what he did was totally not cool, that he cut me off and all without signalling. He calmly pulls a gun and smirks at me as if saying, "Ok...and?".

Needless to say this attitude bleeds into other facets of everyday life as well. Sorry, just had to rant. [:@]

Old 10-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

hey double V glad to see that your ok.... it's also good to gear up..... you'll never know when it come to play... as far as the idiot, well he'll get his..... but as long as your ok, thats what 's important..... take care sista......

Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Toad, I'm sorry to say, but as soon as I get a concealable Glock again, I'll be concealing on the bike from now on. Better to be armed than vulnerable. Now, granted, I won't be riding and shooting at the same time. But if you hit me and I catch you and get stopped, you better have body armor on!

Old 10-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well Mr. Toad, well said! I agree with you 100% on a lot of what you're saying. The one thing that I was always taught and carry with me today is the simple fact that no one is out watching your back on the roads. You cannot depend on everyone obeying the law and paying attention to what is going on. You have to take precautions to keep yourself as safe as you can. Lane positioning when you stop is very important, watching what is going on all around you. Case in point, traffic came to a sudden stop on the highway when my dad was travelling on his bike, he positioned the bike where he thought he would have a way out if needed, someone came up behind him quickly in an SUV, my dad noticed the guy was not slowing down, so he got out of the way as quickly as he could (into the median of the road), the SUV came to a stop in front of where he had originally stopped. The car that was ahead of my dad, had to move onto the shoulder of the road. Had my dad not noticed this SUV and had not left himself a way out, he'd either be dead or seriously injured.

Stuff like this has happened to me in my car, I always leave myself a way out in the car or on the bike. This is not meant to offend anyone, this is just the way I ride and drive. Ya gotta do whatever works for you.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to see you're OK VV, but i am sorry to say the im not surprised that it happened. I have almost been run onver several times by cagers and know how frustrating and un-nerving it can be. Just keep your head up and your eyes open for all those idiots out there!!

Quick Reply: Thank God for good armor