Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Thank God for good armor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Thank God for good armor

ORIGINAL: bluebird

Well Mr. Toad, well said! I agree with you 100% on a lot of what you're saying. The one thing that I was always taught and carry with me today is the simple fact that no one is out watching your back on the roads. You cannot depend on everyone obeying the law and paying attention to what is going on. You have to take precautions to keep yourself as safe as you can. Lane positioning when you stop is very important, watching what is going on all around you. Case in point, traffic came to a sudden stop on the highway when my dad was travelling on his bike, he positioned the bike where he thought he would have a way out if needed, someone came up behind him quickly in an SUV, my dad noticed the guy was not slowing down, so he got out of the way as quickly as he could (into the median of the road), the SUV came to a stop in front of where he had originally stopped. The car that was ahead of my dad, had to move onto the shoulder of the road. Had my dad not noticed this SUV and had not left himself a way out, he'd either be dead or seriously injured.

Stuff like this has happened to me in my car, I always leave myself a way out in the car or on the bike. This is not meant to offend anyone, this is just the way I ride and drive. Ya gotta do whatever works for you.
I agree, Blue, it's up to each individual to plan for the no-lookin', cell-phone-talkin', multi-tasking-everything-but-not-paying-attention-to-the-road numb-skull out there and take precautions! We'll never cover every eventuality, like VV...you can only get so far over in a lane before you're in oncoming traffic...which is when the idea of 'teaching' them a lesson is appealing. Trouble is, there's always the idiot carrying a gun to back up his idiocy, and he's stupid enough to use it!! Frustrating as it is, it's usually better to let 'Natural Selection' catch up with him!! If he's bigger then you , in an SUV, he'll get taken out by a semi one day!!

Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you are ok - the guy is lucky it wasn't me - I woulda chased him down and called the police. Technically it is an accident and if I were you I woulda started screaming for an ambulance on the spot. I hope you left a nice dent.

I agree in part with what other folks are saying about people just not caring... they don't. I drive in the suburbs and expressways on the north and west sides of Chicago - I have a mildly battered 96 Taurus that I used for my daily driver and a new 05 loaded Accord that I use for dinners, shows, road trips...

People try to force their way into my lane all the time, ride in the wrong lanes, jump to the turn lane and ride the median before it becomes a turning lane, all KINDS of wild stuff. I just hold my line with the taurus... they usually give way - especially after looking at my car. Both mirrors are screwed into their mounts with lag screws and washers after having been clipped off by a dolt driver, the hood is grey and the rest of the car is tan... front fenders have scrapes and minor dents, hood has a few ripples and the right rear is bashed in from getting rear-ended. I'm not afraid anymore... if they want to try to force the issue and the speed is not dangerous - then if we swap paint - it isn't my problem. I drive like a human being and I have 0 tolerance for people who drive like ******** or who think they are special and try to jump the turn lane, push a red light while turning, or try to jump ahead of me in the next lane over and force their way into my lane. I have pushed more than one car back into their lane when they try such a stunt. I know this might be ****ty for an ex-cop to say, but I just don't have tolerance for society's rejects anymore, and I take ******* drivers the same way I take fighting gun crime: Shoot back.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I second that motion srobak!