Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

shambles- a way too long bitch session

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default shambles- a way too long bitch session

Recently I decided to take care of a lot of problems all at onece. I needed to replace the chain and sprockets, the front tire, change the oil and oil filter, replace the warn down grips, replace the exaust sleeves (extremely easy, had no clue really how easy that would be) and a couple of other small problems. In addition to this, I decided to take off all the fairings to get the gashes filled, scrapes sanded, and the entire thing painted. I have a friend who has a neighbor that paints cars and offered to do the body work and paint my bike for $250. He said it would be a fun project and that he'd just do it on the side of his normal business so it would probably take three weeks cause they'd just be doing some work here and there. I thought it would be a great idea to get everything done at the same time... so I go to work on it. I learn that a couple of my fairings have some cracks or are just straight broken. I learn that a lot of the non visitble screws and bolts are mismatched and that this body repair/painting process has been done more than once, and obvilously not well enough. I basically need a fairing hardware kit which I have yet to order. It's all off now and I take it to the guy that will be painting it a nice gray with some pearls, and black. He looks at the fairings (he had seen them before but it was when it was on the bike) and tells me that I need to do all the body work and sanding before he'd be willing to touch it. He raises his price in addition. So.. I have to go get some polyester resin, hardener, and matting so I can back up the cracked/broken pieces, some polyester filler epoxy, and a large quantity of sand paper. He estimated four hours to someone who has never done it before. I get a little bummed out but it's gotta get done so I start. We got it all sanded down to the point it needed to be and got some of the smaller scratches out, used the resin to back up the cracked/broken pieces and decide to go to work on the filling the deeper gashes. I do this with my buddy who decides the epoxy will sand off easy and goes to work with putting the epoxy on like putty (covering about 10x more than needed). Bad idea. We let it harden the next day and this **** is a pain to get down and we can't get it with a 320 grit so we use 140. While we sand down the hardened epoxy, it's sanding down other pieces of the fairings to an unhealthy degree where it begins to thin out the base material. In the mean time, I break the gear box housing because the screws that keep the axle still while you take off the axle nut were not tight enough. This was an $80 mistake that I really wish I hadn't made. I replace the chain and sprocket using the manual, put the new stuff on and it's a mm off In the mean time the screw holes for the front fairing need to have the epoxy that filled them by my friends frivelous epoxy application hollowed out. He busts out the dremmed tool and takes a nice chunk out of the original fairing. I'm in bad shape and I'm ready to fill up my garbage can piece by piece. It feels like I will never get this done. I haven't ridden for three weeks and I'msure it will be another month before I'm done. I'm kicking myself for not waiting till the winter to do the body work. There's my compaining and I'm sure i could be much worse off, but dam, this sucks.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: shambles- a way too long bitch session

Ride the bike naked.... by that I mean without the plastics to all you perverts... lol
Good luck on her though, atleast your doing sumin.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

freeballing streaker. sucks to hear about all the hoopla dallin but itll come togather.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lemac

Ride the bike naked.... by that I mean without the plastics to all you perverts... lol
Good luck on her though, atleast your doing sumin.
lol lol....I wasn't even thinking that until you said it!!! lol. Don't forget the flip flops..lol

Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks bro, but I'm sure something like that has happened to all of us at one point or another. It seems like almost all of my projects end up being 10 times more difficult than what I originally thought. But look at it this way, the bike will look great when you're done- make sure to post some pics when it's finished!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

damm bro that sucks. Im sure it will all work out in the end.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

you are into it now. Get er done!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

just think about how it'll look when its all done!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds like alot but just keep thinking of when ur done the fun you will get to have bro............