Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Ride report - Feb Snowmobile trip @ U.P. of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A nice outing and great pics sro. yes, I have been deprived of that scene so far.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like you all had a GREAT day. I keep reminding everyone here how it is a great way to get through a cold winter up here in the North.
What are your thoughts on The REV chassis (was it an XP) compared to the Cat? ( dont you usually ride a cat?
I was planning to go to Maine this weekend, but the hot water heater had other ideas for me. Next weeked we plan to do Moosehead lake to Millinocket to Katahdin, then back to Moosehead. Going in Thursday nite, Friday in Millinocket, not sure the rest yet. If we had a plan, it wouldnt be much of an adventure, right !!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to mention the chassis. Both the Renegade and the 500SS (MXZ?) are hands down the best handling, best feeling, best riding, most firmly planted, and predictable sleds I have ever ridden. The suspension was a dream - smoothed out the sharpest, roughest bumps, the power delivery was beautiful, everything. If I was to buy a sled right now - it would be the Renegade.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

So Srob, are we on for next winter? I should be working in Whiting next winter.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like they were 2009 models? I am wanting to try one, just afraid I might have to buy one if I do, so I keep putting it off.
My 2006 REV chassis is awesome, way better then anything I ever owned in the past. The 600 SDI injection runs and pulls just perfectly. There is nothing about it that I dont like. I get about 25-28 mpg cruising the trails, and the power is more then enough. I dont do high speed lake running anymore, so I dont miss the power from The Artic Cat 660 Turbo I had.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srobak
THat's serious snow and mountain riding out there... big difference from trails for sure. Keep a shovel, tow strap, and locator with you. On the trails it feels like a jet-ski and handles like a quad - so lean in and be ready to do corrective steering to pull the inside ski back down to the ground when it pops up or starts to roll. In big powder... well - it feels and handles like a boat. Always remember to lean uphill!

Have a blast, bring back pix!

Ok srobak expand on that a little....I gotta go snowmobile riding for the first time later this week in Canuk land....I can rip a jet ski and boat....and can get by on two wheels in sugar...but a snowmobile .... I got no idea what I'm looking at ..lol...suggestions...it's for work so it will probably be tame, but they said they changed the course after they found out I ride dirt bikes....what am I in for???

Ya still got that sig...roflmao

Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Awww FM, just jump an that focker and give it the gas! You will figure it out! Just be sure to wear your gear, and take the SSC courses, ( snowmobile safety courses)........LOL
No seriously, it couldnt be that hard!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
Awww FM, just jump an that focker and give it the gas! You will figure it out! Just be sure to wear your gear, and take the SSC courses, ( snowmobile safety courses)........LOL
No seriously, it couldnt be that hard!
lol.....so says the man that dies pinned under a snowmobile in a snow drift where noone can find him.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You ever ride a quad? If so - that is half the battle. It feels like a Jet Ski, and handles like a quad. Think riding a quad hard... you are turning to the right - if you do not lean off the seat a little and into (right) your turn, it will want to roll to the left (outside). Even when you are - if the right front (inside) wheel comes up - you would counter it by correcting to the left just a bit - a sled handles the same way when ridden aggressively.

have fun and post pix. Being a newb - I would advise against climbing any mountain faces though Enjoy the trails and the powder first.