Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What shoudl i do
Stay here and deal with it
23.53%
Look for something else, then quit
64.71%
fock it, quit on friday
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
thats kinda how i feel, i was at my last place for 5 years... and i have only been here since aug 11.... and i have an interview on thursday and im 90% i will get the job, and its even closer to my house. and better pay. No matter how the economy is, we always need water and sewage engineering.....
Dude i hope that you get the job and that it will be better than the one you have now. honestly i feel kinda crappy wanting to leave so soon,but having to take heat for bad planing and then the environment is the opposite of what i was told when they were trying to hire me is kind of messed up, so i totally understand what you feel.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I believe the question here is what do you do for a living and how marketable are you to the industry of which your profession is in? South Florida has always been prosperous and if you are on the coast, the local economies are not affected by the economical defecit. There was a study done by local economists in regards to cities here on the Gulf Coast and was was reported was that because of our industrial and production infrastructures we were *virtually* unaffected by the unemployment and foreclosure trends.

Second, are you sure you aren't going through the "initiation" process? The guys might be a little hard on you at first to kinda test the waters. Give em hell!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Talca
Dude i hope that you get the job and that it will be better than the one you have now. honestly i feel kinda crappy wanting to leave so soon,but having to take heat for bad planing and then the environment is the opposite of what i was told when they were trying to hire me is kind of messed up, so i totally understand what you feel.
Thanks, yea they didnt tell me in the interview that i will be taking the same piece of equipment and just making it fit different size tanks for the rest of my career.... no thanks..... Plus everything i keep checking is wrong, the way they use autocad is like an auto mechanic having air tools, air hoses connected, and using the air ratchet like a regular ratchet.... they are causing more work for themselves... I dont feel bad, its buisness... right in the employee handbook it says "employee or employer may terminate employment at any time for any or no reason" I figure its a 2 way street, they wouldnt think twice about laying me off tomorrow, or firing me... so why should i care?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I am a Lead Data warehouse and reporting developer (basically a computer programmer that climbed up the ladder), i also just got my MBA.
i though that at first, that the guy might be like this at first but now it is just getting old, i am not a big fan of having to go home an work every night, and it has been like that since i started, they are really disorganized here. my main reason for asking is because i have never quit a job so soon after starting, but sometimes we all make mistakes, right?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Thanks, yea they didnt tell me in the interview that i will be taking the same piece of equipment and just making it fit different size tanks for the rest of my career.... no thanks..... Plus everything i keep checking is wrong, the way they use autocad is like an auto mechanic having air tools, air hoses connected, and using the air ratchet like a regular ratchet.... they are causing more work for themselves... I dont feel bad, its buisness... right in the employee handbook it says "employee or employer may terminate employment at any time for any or no reason" I figure its a 2 way street, they wouldnt think twice about laying me off tomorrow, or firing me... so why should i care?
yeah that is true. i forget about that sometimes.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

This is only my 5th job in my life, but ive left one job after 3 months and got a pay cut going to the new place cause i couldnt stand the old place.... (home depot) For me, i have to like where i work and what i do.... ya spend more time at work with your coworkers than ya do at home with your family.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Talca, I am also an engineer and never know who my boss will be from one project to the other. So I have been in your situation a few times. I know it sounds cliche, but you have to cover your ***. When they re-arrange your priorities, send them an e-mail stating that they have impacted the project, said many days. Produce a simple bar chart schedule and when they impact it, revise to a later date and e-mail it to the powers that be.
Have meetings and take minutes of exactly what crazy chit he is telling you to do, then when he changes it, update the minutes to the new plan.
Armed with this, when he jumps your bones, just evicerate him with his own documented decisions.
He will soon start leaving you alone. If he is unorganized, and proves to be a poor planner, he will back off for fear of looking bad to his boss.
You can also go over his head if he is unwilling to give you stable guidance and support.
I think I would stay ther long enough to just help him hang himself.
Just my .02

Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Hang in there bro. When the time is right you'll know what to do. Always keep your options open. Honestly don't have any good advice to help ya man, sorry. That's a tough chituation your in. Been at the same job since 16 years, whether thats good or bad, don't know.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

definately look around - it never hurts to look around - but don't quit untill you have someone else to move on to - the economy is too risky right now and you might end up without work for a long time if you aren't careful.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Talca
I am a Lead Data warehouse and reporting developer (basically a computer programmer that climbed up the ladder), i also just got my MBA.
i though that at first, that the guy might be like this at first but now it is just getting old, i am not a big fan of having to go home an work every night, and it has been like that since i started, they are really disorganized here. my main reason for asking is because i have never quit a job so soon after starting, but sometimes we all make mistakes, right?
want to move to MD? i bet there are a number of jobs that you'd fit into nicely here at the naval base.

also check out www.wyle.com for job listings all over the US

this is the best company i've worked for so far.

Quick Reply: Opinions