Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Universal Health Care. For or against?
For it!
29.41%
Against it!
64.71%
I'm just going with the flow..
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

May I touch on a touchy subject here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default May I touch on a touchy subject here?

Universal Health Care. What are everyone's opinions. For or against and why?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Bro, I hope you are more touchy with girls, otherwise you'll never get laid.

Health care..huh....thats tough, I had a friend die from basil cell because it was a pre existing condition and could get no coverage......he owed his own business and died at 43 or so.

I'd say yeah....F' it .....set it up like Medicare is for all the ole farts and tax us...damn the torpedoes.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

As much as doctors and hospitals charge, you would only think that whether a person has a pre existing condition or not, they would get treatment. It should be a law that no hospital can refuse a person care with a life threatening condition. They suck enough insurance money out of the rest of the people to cover something like that.
As much tax and insurance premiums as we pay, either the government, or the hospitals should cover any person needing care.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My biggest concern with it is that it will turn into yet another bankrupt system like social security. I have zero confidence I will ever see a dime of the many thousands upon thousands of dollars I have paid into social security. Why should my hard earned money go towards someone else's lack of planning? I believe in safety nets. But I don't believe in giving people a check just because they didn't think far enough ahead to save for retirement.

Not sure exactly how that translates to health care, but I have a strong distrust of the incompetence and greed of politicians. Health care reform will be like Christmas for lobbyists and their special interests. Middle class people like most of us will get stuck with the bill.

Tragic what happened to your friend, FM. I do believe in safety nets to catch you when nothing else will, though. There should definitely be one for that case, no one should have to die because they can't afford treatment for a treatable illness.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
As much as doctors and hospitals charge, you would only think that whether a person has a pre existing condition or not, they would get treatment. It should be a law that no hospital can refuse a person care with a life threatening condition. They suck enough insurance money out of the rest of the people to cover something like that.
As much tax and insurance premiums as we pay, either the government, or the hospitals should cover any person needing care.

There are many hospitals that will treat a paitent whether they have insurance or not, our local hospital ate over eleven million dollars on people who didn't have insurance.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Merdox
There are many hospitals that will treat a paitent whether they have insurance or not, our local hospital ate over eleven million dollars on people who didn't have insurance.
true and not true...it depends. Show up as a car wreak victim, they will help ya. Walk in the door with a potentially fatal case of basil cell if untreated....good luck.

That I know is true from experience.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
true and not true...it depends. Show up as a car wreak victim, they will help ya. Walk in the door with a potentially fatal case of basil cell if untreated....good luck.

And that is a very sad deal and should not be allowed! Our health care system does need some change but I am not sure a universal health care system is the answer either. There are quite a few people who come down to the US from Canada because the wait is so long for certain procedures. Not to mention the massive tax increase to pay for it all.

Last edited by Merdox; 08-03-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I hate hospitals...and I worked in one for 4 years!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

+1 Show up at the Doc with cancer and no insurance,, He will give you the free low down,, "you have 2 weeks to live" and thats it " what a world we live in

Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Everyone is responsible for providing health insurance for themselves and their children. Government medicare, medicaid and social security are bankrupt. What makes any rational person think that an even larger program and beaurocracy that accompanies it will be any different?

Half of every dollar the Federal Government spends is borrowed. So where will the money for a massive new government run entitlement come from?

I'm sorry to hear about individual cases where a person didn't recieve care. But if you do the research, you'll find that cancer claims more lives as a result of the waiting lists and rationing of treatment that a government run system provides compared with the private system we currently have.

I'm for providing a 'hand up, not a hand-out'. We are responsible for ourselves and our families.

M

Quick Reply: May I touch on a touchy subject here?