Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Legal Advice

Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Legal Advice

I got a ticket a month ago doing 32 over the speed limit. 87 in a 55. Anyway i have a court date in december and was wondering if i need to get an attorney or not. i didnt give it any thought until someone said theyll hit me with reckless driving. also i dont have insurance on it cuz i dont ride it much. what ya think?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Legal Advice

they won't cite you for wreckless driving you've already been cited for speeding. the no insurance will be a fix it ticket. probally just pay your fine thatthe judge will give you and insure it. it will be a point on your record tho

Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Heres the thing. i pulled over before the cop even turned his lights on. now in florida there is a no chase law but the last thing im gonna do is run from the law. i was 100% cooperative and the cop was calm gave me the ticket told me to take the driving class online and avoid the points on my record. i was told that if i ask the judge to take the class they will always say yes and discount my ticket right then. i had a long converstaion with the driving school lady. anyway im kinda scared now that theyll throw the book at me if i dont have a lawyer.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

They can't throw the book at you in court. Chances are you will just have to deal with the speeding ticket. If he didn't cite you for no proof of insurance, then you don't even need to worry about it - it is not an issue.

The prosecuting attorney CAN ammend the charges after the fact (to wreckless, etc) - but if he hasnt done so by now, he probably wont, and if he does that day in court, then the court must give you ample time to consult legal counsel before they can proceed on those charge(s) - which will be at a much later date, giving you plenty of time to talk to a lawyer.

I would go to court, beg the judge for the class, etc... and take your lumps. If the attorney ammends the charge, then immediately request a continuance from the judge so you can obtain proper legal counsel - he will put the brakes on right there and give you that opportunity.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

If you were ticketed for speeding you will only be charged with speeding. As for the lawyer they are usually not necessary for a guilty plea. The only time I ever needed a lawyer, I pleaded guilty and the judge told me to change it and come back with a lawyer or he would throw me in jail for 90 days. But with only one charge on the ticket you should have no problems.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

plus you dont need insurance on the bike down in florida. So why are you goign to court if you can avoid it. by paying te ticket

Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

just take the class and get the points off your record

Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R

just take the class and get the points off your record
[sm=exactly.gif]
and what srobak said.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

i cant pay the ticket until i go to court. at that point i can ask to take the class. .

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

That makes no sense. Most court systems prefer you just pay the fine instead of tying up the legal system... I bet if you go to the clerk/magistrate's office and ask them what the fine is to pay straight up they will tell you, take your payment, and that will be the end of the issue - no judge, no class, no nothing. Maybe florida is that much different on a simple speeding ticket, but I really doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legal Advice