Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Last Stand for General Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Last Stand for General Motors?

Folks-

I see some missed opportunities for GM on the PR front. The 'big three' execs flew into Washington DC on private jets while their companies are going broke to ask for a bail-out. Their requests fell upon deaf ears to many in Congress.

Wheather or not you agree on a bailout for the big three or not is a side point. But I think GM in particular missed an opportunity for some free pr. The GM exec should have been riding shotgun in one of the new 400 horsepower 2010 Chevy Camaro's and led a high speed chase to Washington like a modern day "Smokey and the Bandit".

After he arrived he could then boast to Congress that the 400hp monster gets 25mpg. Then he should have a Chevy VOLT follow close behind and explain about its' zero emissions and 40 mile travel distance before it begins using any gasoline at all.

My point is that the country is watching and this is the perfect moment to re-introduce the fine machines that the American companies are producing.

Imagine watching GM exec Rick Wagoner pull up to Capital Hill in one of these...
http://www.iroc-z.com/NewCamaro/newcamaro.htm

ike

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Well now that the gas prices are back down people will be more inclined to purchase a vehicle regardless of it's fuel efficiency. So we should see the economy begin to do a turn around.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
and this is the perfect moment to re-introduce the fine machines that the American companies are producing.
And which fine machines would these be?

Rob

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I might get flamed, but I use to be a Chevy guy untl I found out that American vehicles are almost worthless on the used market. So I now own a Tundra 5.7, 4 wheel drive truck, and a 4 runner. They are much better vehicles, and are worth more on a trade in.
The Tundra will rape a Chevy truck in the performance arena!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by williamr
And which fine machines would these be?

Rob
Cadilac CTS

Chevy Malibu

Camaro

Dodge Challenger

Dodge Charger

There's all kinds of great products out there, just take a tour of some of the American car showrooms.

I owned a 2001 Corvette Z06 in it was the most incredible car I'd ever driven. My current Chevy Colorado has 70k miles on it and has never been in the shop for anything other than oil changes, tires, etc... The quality is there.

Mike

Old 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Worlok14
Well, I might get flamed, but I use to be a Chevy guy untl I found out that American vehicles are almost worthless on the used market. So I now own a Tundra 5.7, 4 wheel drive truck, and a 4 runner. They are much better vehicles, and are worth more on a trade in.
The Tundra will rape a Chevy truck in the performance arena!
My familie's old 4 Runner did nothing but break down. It was the biggest POS we've ever owned, on top of it being a slug. Hope yours treats you better.

Mike

Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im a die hard chevy guy, but now im into GMC trucks....

ya know what boggles my mind? I was watching a show on tv they were talking to the owner of edlebrock, he got with a drag racer and they made a crate motor you could buy.... http://www.russellperformance.com/ on the front page..... the 555 cubic inch big block... direct port fuel injection.... and guess what kinda gas mileage it gets..... freeking 25 mpg cruizing on the highway at 65mph...... they way they make these cars now a days is crazy.... my truck with a 4.8L v8 cant get 25 mpg....just irritates me......

Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Chevy Volt

Battery powered, plugs into a normal electric socket and drives for 40 miles at zero emissions before it uses a single drop of gasoline. A gasoline engine charges the battery for trips longer than 40 miles.

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar...l_|_chevy_volt

Last edited by KDXmike; 11-26-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I know a guy that works for GM R&D, he brought home a tahoe hybrid, he said if they sell all of those GM will go bankrupt, they sell them for less than it costs to make them.... Hybrids/ elec cars are for some... not this american... im all about V8's and loud pipes. My unlce always gets on my case about gas mileage... and asks if i take my wifes HHR to work, i have a longer drive, all i tell him is that if i wanted to drive a car i would have bought one.... i drive my Sierra.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I know a guy that works for GM R&D, he brought home a tahoe hybrid, he said if they sell all of those GM will go bankrupt, they sell them for less than it costs to make them.... Hybrids/ elec cars are for some... not this american... im all about V8's and loud pipes. My unlce always gets on my case about gas mileage... and asks if i take my wifes HHR to work, i have a longer drive, all i tell him is that if i wanted to drive a car i would have bought one.... i drive my Sierra.
I'm pretty much a V8 guy myself. Other than My Colorado which has a Vortec engine, I've owned nothing but V8's including 3 IROC-Z's and the Corvette Z06. I was getting 30mpg in the Z06 and that's impressive from a 400hp 350V8 engine.

Mike

Quick Reply: Last Stand for General Motors?