Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I know that some of you are into old cars..i hope..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default I know that some of you are into old cars..i hope..

So, my wonderful fiancee and i found a 1972 demon the day after my 28th birthday, and we decided to buy it...

Here are pictures of our Demon. It was moved to the shop the other day. The other parts of the grille and lights are in a box...and the hood isnt hinged properly yet, so it sits a little low.

Drivers side shot

Drivers side from the front

Passenger side corner

Rear shot

Paint up close

Rear quarter without the filler cap

Shot from the right rear

interior shots...this section (aside from the engine) needs the most work...but its all there, just take apart

Its got a BG wheel, but I wont be keeping that on

Race buckets

Inside the drivers door...you can see the parts that are exposed with the door liner on are painted black, and we have the liners

no cluster installed, but it came with three of them

rear deck, new carpeting

another dash and wheel shot

Clean engine bay

Undercarriage...its got alot of cobwebs and such hanging from it...its VERY clean, all redone.

under the front bumper

section of the unibody

underside of the trunk

rear dif, 8.75 rear with sway bar

under the front seats, with a ladder bar

looking back at the rear diff

another underbody shot

all is left now, is to build the motor, and put everything together...

some interesting info...
So, when we bought the demon, we were mostly just concerned with the car itself. It came with an engine which was laying on the floor, and a couple trannies, and TONS of other extra parts. We were told that the guy kept oil in the engine and he said that it would turn over with a wrench, but he was unsure of any specs on the motor. Although we have a 360 block pretty much ready to go, it would be a nice surprise if this engine, which looked completelty stock from the outside, would be good enough to clean up and use in the demon...

well, my dad got it apart a few days ago, and as soon as he got the first cylinder head off, he saw that this was no stock motor. unlike the stock flat top pistons, this engine had a very high dome piston, (which signifies lots of compression)...also a very expensive set of pistons; probably 600-700 dollars..where as cheaper pistons cost about 23 bucks a piece. unfortunately when he took the other cylinder head off, he found that there had been enough water in the engine to rust up the cylinder walls, and in the number 8 cylinder, the water froze and burst through the cylinder wall. there is so much rust in the other cylinders that the pistons are hard to get out, but as my dad has time during the day, he pisses around and wiggles them out...so far, he has gotten 4 of them out, and they appear to be in good enough shape. we have our fingers crossed for the other 4, and once the motor is stripped it will go to the machine shop to see if the motor is fixable.

for those who dont know, the mirada is a freak. unlike most cars running similar times with a small block, running high compression engines on 100+ octane race fuel, the mirada is only about 9 to 1 compression, so it runs on 87 octane. this makes racing very cheap because while many guys pay 6-10 bucks a gallon for race fuel, we only pay 2.09 (now). My intention with the demon is to have a motor that will run on regular pump gas, so no more than 10:1 compression...so if these pistons are good, they will be going into the mirada, and the mirada will have to be run on very high octane fuel...but it will have much greater potential for power. i called Federal Mogul, who made these pistons, and turns out they are 13.28 to 1 compression with a 62 cc cylinder head!

so it seemed that we might luck out and get a good set of pistons, and maybe a "good" block once i have it sleeved...but today, he found something else interesting. he had been trying to figure out what crank it was, as it was not a stock 340 crank. turns out, the engine was a stroker motor, and the crank and rods are in good shape. he found some numbers on the crank and checked them out, and we have found that this 340 is actually a 340 block, 30 over, displacing 361 cubic inches thanks to the stroker kit...

so, should everything be usable, the mirada will no longer be a low compression 340, but rather a high compression 361...

if the crank, rods, and pistons need more reconditioning work than we are willing to deal with, i will just buy decent new pistons and sell the stroker setup to someone who wants to put the effort into it, but the boss said that upon his initial inspection, the bottom end appears to be in very good shape.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I know that some of you are into old cars..i hope..

sweet !

Old 09-24-2006, 02:46 AM

sounds like you made out like a bandit

Old 09-24-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Awesome Patrick...Overall the car looks pretty darn good man!! I noticed the cross members. Are you going to plate those, or replace with new ones?

That's sweet on the engine. Def cool to all ready have it stroked. That's a heck of a find.

I used to run 202 camlehumps on an old 383 stroker. Awesome...... Nothing better than a small block stroker!!!

I need to find a car like that. That thing is def clean.... You are going to have to post some after pics, and pics of the motor, etc !! lol

Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i dont follow the crossmember question?

Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hell yea, muscle cars rock!

Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Patrick

under the front bumper

The cross member in this pic where it is cracked. I had a 71 mustang that had same prob. A friend of mine just plated it. It worked great after that.

Or is that the radiator support. It looks like it is removable?? That's cool if that's what it is. One advantage of Dodge...

Old 09-24-2006, 03:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

thats the rad support..the cross member is black...behind the sway bar...and the rad support isnt cracked, its just the way that its assembled...the front end is almost all fiberglass, so alot of things have been cut off...which is why there may be a cage in the car, because we arent sure how sturdy the unbody is.

but if you look close at that picture, you can see that what looks like a crack is two layers of steel overlapping...

Old 09-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Okay...I see it. I should have looked at the pic closer. Just goes to show ya, I need to own more Dodges and get glasses!! lol lol

That's awesome for sure!!

Hey, is that front suspension torsion bar? Is that factory? That's awesome!!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i do believe that much of it is stock, i know that it came with them, i dont know if that exact setup is stock...as odd as this may seem, i looked at the car on september 8th...i havent seen it since then, since i live so far away. when i saw how good of shape it was in, and what he wanted, plus all of the extra parts, i knew that we couldnt pass it up...

im going home in a few weeks to sort through the parts, have a look at this seemingly monster engine, and to help a friend install his engine...at that point, i might clean the car up a little bit and take more pictures...

my hopeful completion date is next august...for the woodward dream cruise

Quick Reply: I know that some of you are into old cars..i hope..