Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   I hate being indecisive... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/i-hate-being-indecisive-4380/)

Wannabe250 06-01-2006 07:29 PM

I hate being indecisive...

Picking a first bike has got to be one of the hardest things ever.. I was set on the GS500F, but I can't seem to find any around here.. and the more I see Ninja 250's cruising around town, the more I want to just go get one. Gah!

ZX12Rider 06-01-2006 07:31 PM

RE: I hate being indecisive...

Well then, go get the Ninja!!! :D you will like it!

Wannabe250 06-01-2006 07:37 PM

I think I wouldn't mind it but I don't know if I would be ok with it after a week or so. I don't think it's 'sporty' enough for me. I dunno it's a little hard to explain. The bikes I love are the bigger ninjas, the R6, the F4i, the GSX-R.. I just don't think the 250 has enough of the same type of feel. It looks more like a standard than a sport bike.

ZX12Rider 06-01-2006 07:54 PM

I hear ya - but one bonus is the fact that you aren't stuck in one riding position. If you want to be sitting fairly upright - you can be, if you want to be tucked over the tank - you can be. I find with my bike, I can go for fairly long distances and still be quite comfortable (other than my a##!) because if I find one position uncomfortable after a while I can just change my position and I'm good to go.

I guess all in all, its up to you - personally for me - looks weren't the most important thing. Just think -if you weren't so darn picky - you could be out riding right now :D!

littledevil 06-01-2006 08:23 PM

it's a sign. lol No but for real. Just a first time bike go with the comfortable bike. I'm telling you. The sporty bikes take time getting used to. My palms, wrists, a$$, legs and shouldes were sore. Get something comfortable for awhile, then move up when you've got some miles on ya.

jayden 06-02-2006 04:12 PM

I was the same way. I like the "sport bikes" and the 250 seemed to fall short of them. My bf has an R1 and he picked up my bike for me after I bought it. He said it wasnt bad, obviously not his R1 but it would definately be fun. I am glad I bought the 250. I can get a season of riding in then next year, get the R6 I have been dreaming about. The nice thing about the 250's is they are cheap to buy and sell fast. Try it you might like it! ( and if not, sell it) What ever you get, have fun and be safe.

txredneckmedic 06-02-2006 04:26 PM

I wouldnt go with a bigger bike for your first bike unless you have alot of self control

Notstock 06-02-2006 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: littledevil

it's a sign. lol No but for real. Just a first time bike go with the comfortable bike. I'm telling you. The sporty bikes take time getting used to. My palms, wrists, a$$, legs and shouldes were sore. Get something comfortable for awhile, then move up when you've got some miles on ya.
I agree with LD, except you should not be putting so much weight on your upper body, although it is hard to get used to this, you should be griping and holding on with your legs on a sport bike. The less weight and input that you apply to the bars the better for the bikes suspension, like under heavy braking you should be applying your weight to the seat, front of the tank and holding on with your leg. Little or no weight shoukd be transfer to the bars which in turn gets transferred to the front suspension and makes it harder top control the bike. Get off those bars LD.

If you get the 250 it is a rather inexpensive bike and you will get the needed riding experience from it. After a year or so you can resell it, or keep it, and go get that 636 and a whole new world will open up.
If you chose to get the 636 now you just need to use self control like TX said and move up in speed and harder riding as your skills progress, jumping to far ahead to quickly can result in some severe consequences that may prevent you from ever riding or even living again. I or no one wants to here something like that.
Ride safe and have fun.

txredneckmedic 06-02-2006 04:49 PM

NS....i love how people complain about the seat on long rides. When i ride my 636 long rides....all my weight is on my legs. My ass barely touches the seat usually

Notstock 06-02-2006 04:54 PM

I get lazy on long freeway rides and tend to move my weight to my arms, bad, and I do not notice it until my wrist start hurting.
On cruisers or sit up bikes you’re a$$ will get sore do to the riding position puts your weight on your butt. Like Bluebird says she just changes her position and all is good.

Gerg 06-02-2006 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: txredneckmedic
NS....i love how people complain about the seat on long rides. When i ride my 636 long rides....all my weight is on my legs. My ass barely touches the seat usually
Yeah, I think that's why I like the twisties so much more than the highway straights.... On the highway I just sit, on the twisties, I'm pretty much standing/shifting/leaning all the time so I'm a lot less tired and a lot more refreshed. I think I'd have trouble doing 400 miles of flat highway, but it's easy (and more fun) if it's twisty, even though it takes longer.

littledevil 06-02-2006 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

I agree with LD, except you should not be putting so much weight on your upper body, although it is hard to get used to this, you should be griping and holding on with your legs on a sport bike. The less weight and input that you apply to the bars the better for the bikes suspension, like under heavy braking you should be applying your weight to the seat, front of the tank and holding on with your leg. Little or no weight shoukd be transfer to the bars which in turn gets transferred to the front suspension and makes it harder top control the bike. Get off those bars LD.

If you get the 250 it is a rather inexpensive bike and you will get the needed riding experience from it. After a year or so you can resell it, or keep it, and go get that 636 and a whole new world will open up.
If you chose to get the 636 now you just need to use self control like TX said and move up in speed and harder riding as your skills progress, jumping to far ahead to quickly can result in some severe consequences that may prevent you from ever riding or even living again. I or no one wants to here something like that.
Ride safe and have fun.

yes father...lol j/k.. your right I should be putting the wieght in the center of the bike. But then again it feels like its been forever since I've riden a bike...

Notstock 06-02-2006 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Ride safe and have fun.

yes father...lol j/k.. your right I should be putting the wieght in the center of the bike. But then again it feels like its been forever since I've riden a bike...
I like it better when you say daddy :D
It wont be long and you will be back, have to take care of your injures right now, there will be plenty of riding to do later. You are right though the wait seems like forever.
Did they schedule the mri yet?

littledevil 06-02-2006 11:06 PM

OK, daddy... lol how about Poppi! lol

The MRI, no unfortantely nothing yet. And they also didn't tell me if my Physical THerapy session with a trainer has been approved for the knee injuries.

Stupid insurance.

Notstock 06-02-2006 11:21 PM

Stay on them everyday LD, out of sight, out of mind. I know it sux and it is a shame when we have to fight with the insurance companies but if you do not become a bother to them they will not help, or will drag there a$$es. Remember they are counting on you getting frustrated and giving up, so do not and bug the crap out of them.

Oh and I like daddy better :D

txredneckmedic 06-03-2006 12:06 AM

Hey LD...come down here and ill take ya for a ride...hehe

Wannabe250 06-03-2006 07:09 AM

Well I do think I have self control.. mainly because it's a different sensation of speed being out in the open like that. The first time I got to 40 in a car I was a little scared, now I'm not even really tense at 120. Riding at the MSF I got nervous going a measly 20 mph, so it's not like I'm going to buy a bike and rip it up the first day. My plan is to find a decent parking lot for a little, then move out to unpopulated side streets, then start on the main roads. No highway for a long, long time (not that I would need to).

My only problem, really, is emotion. I tend to anger easily and then take it out on the road.. but I suppose, really, that it's just as dangerous on a 250 than a 636.

Mainly my biggest determining factor is money. I only have about 3k saved right now, which will start going up pretty substantially next week. So probably looking to spend about 3.5k on a bike and about 600-800 on gear.

Merdox 06-03-2006 07:56 AM

Hey Wannabe250

It sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders. If you don't have any riding experience then the 250 would probably be the perfect bike to learn on. And if you only have 3000 then you could get a nice 250 and still have plenty for the riding gear you will need. And like everyone else has said after a year or so once you have gotten some experience sell it and get that 600 sport bike you have been wanting.

As far as speed I know what you mean. The first time I did 70mph on my bike I thought it was pretty insane. Now I don't feel like I am going fast until I hit about 100mph. (that is probabably not a good thing) Anyways good luck and post pictures once you get a bike.

evil636 06-03-2006 08:34 AM

i still want a 250 :D

ZX12Rider 06-05-2006 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Wannabe250

Well I do think I have self control.. mainly because it's a different sensation of speed being out in the open like that. The first time I got to 40 in a car I was a little scared, now I'm not even really tense at 120. Riding at the MSF I got nervous going a measly 20 mph, so it's not like I'm going to buy a bike and rip it up the first day. My plan is to find a decent parking lot for a little, then move out to unpopulated side streets, then start on the main roads. No highway for a long, long time (not that I would need to).

My only problem, really, is emotion. I tend to anger easily and then take it out on the road.. but I suppose, really, that it's just as dangerous on a 250 than a 636.

Mainly my biggest determining factor is money. I only have about 3k saved right now, which will start going up pretty substantially next week. So probably looking to spend about 3.5k on a bike and about 600-800 on gear.
Whatever you do - don't let your emotions get outta control when your riding any bike - not a good thing. If I'm in a real bad, crappy po'd mood - I leave the bike at home.

Now get out there and get a bike, any bike!!

littledevil 06-05-2006 07:02 PM

You are to never get on a bike after you had a fight with a family member, girlfriend or boyfriend, when you upset or angry. You need a clear mind.

Wannabe250 06-05-2006 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird
Now get out there and get a bike, any bike!!

Trust me I am definitely trying. Found a Suzuki GS500F on ebay that looks nice but it's in New York about 150 miles away, so doubtful I could find time to go look at it. It is a dealer but obviously I wouldn't want to buy it without seeing it first.

littledevil 06-05-2006 07:31 PM

Wannabe250, where are you located and what part of NY is it at?

Trust me, it took me 3 months to find the right bike at the right price. Patients, I know you really want a bike, I can relate, but don't rush it . I rushed once and ended up getting a HOT bike, luckly my pops is a retired POPO and that scarred the kid to take back the bike.

littledevil 06-05-2006 07:45 PM

2003 KAWASAKI NINJA 500, Must Sell, Blue, Like new, 2000 miles, adult owned, never down, Mint Condition, Great gas saver, $3300. (203) 414-3896 (4X). Fairfield

2000 KAWASAKI KX500, very low hours, set up for trail riding, still has original chain & sprockets, new tires, runs strong, adult owned, never raced, must sell, took up boating, $2800. (203) 272-1514 . Cheshire, CT

2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 2 Cylinder, 4-stroke 250cc Motor,MINT condition! Green fairings/purple rims, only 2K mi, adult owned/operated, all stock, no modifications, dealer serviced at scheduled 500 mile service /maintenance, never dropped, not a scratch on it, cleaned after every ride!! Must see/ride!!! $2800 email: dfgreco@hewitt.com

Gerg 06-05-2006 11:15 PM

You are to never get on a bike after you had a fight with a family member, girlfriend or boyfriend, when you upset or angry. You need a clear mind.
What she said... No, REALLY. I made the mistake of doing that once, and it was painfully obvious how erratic and dangerous my riding was. Definately not smooth, definately not looking out for everyone trying to hit me. It's bad enough the deck is stacked against you on 2 wheels, you have to keep a cool head and not add one more problem to the list. I know I scared the crap out of myself and nearly bit it hard. Totally my fault, and totally not worth it. Never again.

Wannabe250 06-06-2006 12:27 AM

I'm in Granby, CT.. the bike is in Smallwood, NY.. here's the Link

It looks plenty clean but you can never tell.

littledevil 06-06-2006 04:58 AM

I know that ebay seller. Him and his son sell alot of bikes. That's by where I first lived in NY, Middletown. I'd go check it out for you cause I know the area, but I still can't drive yet. Are there no Suziki dealers by you? I know of one in Danbury. Those guys at Power Honda (they carry Suziki) are cool people.

I'll keep my eye out for you of any GS500.

Wannabe250 06-06-2006 05:03 AM

Well the problem with dealers is that they charge dealers prices. So the bike I want (GS500F) I can't afford at the dealer, but I can afford some private sellers.

Damn money.

Notstock 06-06-2006 05:41 AM

Yea LD is right, I looked at least 12 different bikes before I rolled up on the one I bought. If you are lucky enough to live in a large metropolitan area than there will be lots to chose from. If your in rural America or the boonies :D then the pickens will be slim and you may need to travel.

Beware of ebay, do not give any money for a bike that you can not see first. I bought my race bike on ebay about 500 miles away, no money traded hands until after a inspection.

Take your time if you get to anxious you may end up with more of a problem than a good running bike.

littledevil 06-06-2006 03:34 PM

I love going to dealers, flashing some money infront of them. It's like waving something shiny in front of their eyes as they get hypnotized. lol

If you get out a dealer, like the one I mentioned down in Danbury (exit 4 off of 84w) they are cool as ****, and when it comes to cash, all dealers will make a sale. You gotta play it cool, like "you don't want my business, that's cool, I"ll go to joe shmoe down the road"

Wannabe250 06-06-2006 05:10 PM

Well yeah obviously you gotta haggle a bit, but 3000 is alot different than the 5.4k price tag on the new bike. Not to mention I don't want brand new.

Wannabe250 06-10-2006 06:44 PM

Woot well I may have found a bike. Put a want ad on craigs list and got an e-mail from a guy wanting to sell his GS500F.. we'll see how this goes. Says he'll let it go for less than 3k.

littledevil 06-11-2006 09:48 PM

good luck with the bike. hopefully it's a good buy. that would be awesome

Wannabe250 06-12-2006 12:00 AM

The pictures look alright.. only problem is he too is out in the middle of NY.. his e-mail said he'd be willing to drive a bit to get to me, so I told him I was in Granby, CT; haven't heard back yet.

jayden 06-12-2006 04:04 PM

I just saw an ad in the paper today for an 06 250 ninja w/ 4 miles, yes '4' and they only want $2600. But that would be lower NY. You may end up having to do a lil drivin to get yourself a good deal.

Wannabe250 06-12-2006 06:08 PM

Would you guys recommend staying away from bikes that have been down? There is a bike right down the street from me up for sale, but it has been down @ about 10 mph.. guy says he lowsided turning into a KFC parking lot. Judging by the pictures the damage seems minor, couple of scratches on the fairing, but I dunno a lot about checking out bikes.

ZX12Rider 06-12-2006 07:19 PM

Me, personally, I would not have bought a bike that was 'crashed' or down. My bike had been knocked over in a driveway - I was comfortable with that. For me it has to do with how secure I feel - if I had bought a bike that had been down, every time I got on it I'd worry - but that is just me.

But if it really was a 10mph crash - it might be okay. Here is a link to some info about buying used (I actually used this myself) http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Wannabe250 06-12-2006 07:28 PM

Yeah I've read through that a few times. That's kinda how I feel, like if I see 'down' it's an instant red flag, but after reading the circumstances (10 mph, parking lot, etc) and looking at the pictures, the more and more I wanna go for it. He had frame sliders which obviously did it's job, as well as flush mounts so nothing was broken, just a little scratched up as far as I can tell. Being my first bike, I wouldn't mind the scratches much since I will probably drop it myself at least once.

The price and location are what's really attracting me. Saw the same bike a while ago and he was trying to sell for 4k, now that it's been dropped it's down to around 3k (it's on Ebay now so obviously it could go up, BIN is 4k).

There's also another one for about 3.8k down by Lil D. Both are YZF600R's.

ZX12Rider 06-12-2006 09:38 PM

I'd highly recommend that you look at the bike in person before committing to buying it. Even if it was a low speed crash, it could have damaged a lot of stuff. Forks could be bent, all kinds of stuff. I'd stear away from an R6 as a first bike though - but then again that is just my opinion.

I hope you find something soon, take your time, it will happen! :D

Wannabe250 06-12-2006 11:18 PM

It's not the R6, it's the Thundercat. And yes yes I will of course go see it in person before trying to buy it. Wish I had friends that knew about bikes.. although I do know some mechanics around here who could look at it, I suppose.