Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Helmet with Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Helmet with Speakers?

Ok, so i reciently bought a 06 ZZR 600. Even thou i love the engine sound of street bikes, expecially at their higher RPM levels, it would be nice to listen to music whenever i drive long distances.

So I've been doing Google searches for helmets with speakers, and really cant find what i'm looking for...

Does anyone know of a website, or a store location in the metro detroit area that sell FULL FACE HELMETS with GOOD QUALITY SPEAKERS in them?

It doesnt have to be blue tooth, but that would be nice. Im mainly looking for a way to hook up my Ipod. If radio is an option, then thats ok. Im looking for a price range under $500 TOTAL COST. (Helmet, speakers & all required...stuff...to hook them up)

Now if there is no such thing as a helmet with speakers already built in, where do i buy the speakers (high quality ones. I usually listen to music that has base) & HOW DO I PUT THEM IN/ON?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you'd be better off buying a helmet first and then add speakers. It's important you get a helmet that's comfortable and fits your head well. You will have many more options going this way and then adding a headset later. Buying a helmet with speakers will limit your options significantly. I have a Shoei RF-1100 with a Uclear HBC200 headset. I'm very pleased with both.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Conf, welcome to the forums. Call me old school; I think a helmet with speakers is a bad idea. Yes; great to listen to tunes over a long haul....but if that's what you want to do, take your car. There are plenty enough distractions out there when you're on a bike. Anything which detracts from my attention to the road (and ALL the hazards out there just waiting to ruin my day) is a no-no in my book. Having said that, if you're comfortable with helmet speakers, that's cool. I'm not a "hater." Just be careful, dude. I want you to have plenty of enjoyable posts and ride reports with us. Welcome again. Glad to have you with us.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thx for the replies.

Brieninsac: Your Shoei RF-1100 helmet. WOW! Lol nice looking helmet but thats kinda up there in price. Idk, Maybe all good helmets (comfortable? functionable?) are in the $400s but i've seen ones WAY cheaper then that. What do you like about this helmet over cheaper models that look similar? & that Uclear HBC200 headset. Is that just a bluetooth receiver? or is that a whole [speaker/receiver/mounting equipment] package?

jeffzx9: Glad to be here. I guarantee i'll have plenty of questions on bike upgrades, repair issues & whatev. So hopfully all the ppl on this forum can help me out when those come up.
Anyways, i understand why having speakers in your helmet is a bad idea. But half the reason i got a bike was so it didnt cOST me a fortune driving long distances. I have a mustang, granted only a v6, but it Still eat up gas. 25MPG highway, maybe, in the summer? Plus This bike is only a 600. I dowt it'll ever see track racing. Most it'll see, wth me atleast, are short drag races here and there.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Confussed02
Brieninsac: Your Shoei RF-1100 helmet. WOW! Lol nice looking helmet but thats kinda up there in price. Idk, Maybe all good helmets (comfortable? functionable?) are in the $400s but i've seen ones WAY cheaper then that. What do you like about this helmet over cheaper models that look similar? & that Uclear HBC200 headset. Is that just a bluetooth receiver? or is that a whole [speaker/receiver/mounting equipment] package?
Ya the helmet is a little on the pricy side, but you can't skimp on your mellon.

I did a lot of research before buying the Uclear setup. They are one of the few headsets that doesn't use a boom mic. I actually bought the HBC100 at first. Then they came out with a new version a few months ago, so I upgraded to the HBC220 dual for both my helmet and my wife's. It syncs fine to your phone, plays music, answer calls with just your voice, can control your phone and can have up to 10 units pared together for group rides. It's nice (sometimes) being able to talk to my wife while riding. Again, it's one of the more expensive ones out there, but it's worth it IMO.

http://www.uclear-digital.com

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Brieninsac: Ah very cool. Checked out that link & their product line. Now since EVERY manufacturer out there is gonna call their line up the best thing on the market. How do you like it? I see it has alot of features, some very useful including the ability to sync many devices together. So my big question (since im mainly wanting this to stream audio from my Ipod) is how's the sound quality?
Meaning, you can tell the difference between a cheap pair of headphones or a nice pair. One does the job, & the other sounds like home theater in your head. Has deep base, doesnt crackle on the Mids and Highs...
& again, thx for the input.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I wore ibuds on a long trip a few yrs back. Personnally, if the music is so loud that it drowns out your surroundings???? Bad idea. But I wear ear plugs inside the helmet almost all of the time anyways, so to me it was almost like wearing ear plugs but had tunes and I could still hear the environment I was in if the volume was kept within limits.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride daily with music on, but I never crank it. I can still hear loud noises and sirens. When I ride I'm more focused on looking around and anticipating some jackass pulling out in front of me then what I'm hearing. Admittingly it does drown out engine noise which makes hearing changes to your engine more difficult.

I'm no audio-aficionado, but the sound quality is good to me.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Alrighty. So i have a few headsets to read up on & try.
cardo scala G9. (from a different thred)
SENA SMH-10. (from a different thred)
Uclear HBC200
Thx for the input. This definitely helped me narrow down my choices.

Btw, off topic. I need to purchase a stand for my bike. I dont need anything fancy. Just the simplest thing that'll put my bike a few inches off the ground. Only reason i ask is cuz my exhaust sits fairly close to my rear wheel. Is there a specific stand i should get for a Kawasaki? With a slip on exhaust. Where could i find one OTC. Lowes? Or should i really buy online? Would something like this work? or....

Motorcycle Swingarm Stands