Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

FI vs CARB

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default FI vs CARB

So, I've noticed many bikes are going to FI. Supposedly, this is more efficient, and thus better for the environment (though I question how much more efficient it really is on the scale of a 250 cc bike).

My thoughts are this: is fuel injection really a step up for quarter liter bikes? Are they not significantly more difficult to work on, particularly if you're out on the trail and something with the CPU craps out?

I guess I'm not sure the increased efficiency of fuel delivery is worth the more complicated electrical systems (with the CPU and sensors).

Any thoughts?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I admit, I'm a carb guy. I like mechanical things I can disassemble, reassemble, and make them go. (I like mechanical watches, too, but that's a whole different animal.) I am not a fan of FI because of the electronic metering of the fuel, and giz-mology that requires a circuit board. Having said that, injection has come light years from the erratic and unreliable stuff it once was; that's progress. In some ways, FI is more simple, much more efficient, and more consistent over time. However, ain't nothing like a well-tuned carb (or a whole rack of them!! Ever tune a CBX??) I can't tell you the number of times I've tweeked the carb on the ol Husky in the middle of a field, given the starter a kick, and off I go. But, carbs are for gearheads. FI is for consistent fuel delivery that doesn't really require much fiddling. Some guys like it that way.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

FI is nice cause you have no choke, and when you go up in elevation the computer compensates. They also do better with emissions compared to a carb. FI is way more complicated in that you got all those wires and computer stuff. I personally like FI cause dont really have to fiddle with it.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

fI is still new to me, and I have played with some fi tuning but still am comfy with carbs because of my time using carbs over fi. fi has proven itself to me and I am learning the curves of time because of the benefits and success. Now I need a dedicated laptop and knowledge.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I have always done my own carb work, and loved the old fashion carburators. But since I have owned my 14, and can remap in 30 minutes or less with a laptop computor, I like FI more everytime I retune.
But yeah, for a dirt bike, I would prefer a carb!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't see how carbs are better on any engine. my friend does love constantly screwing with all 4 carbs on his ancient yamaha, tho. FI has been an option for years, maybe not all models