Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Desensitizing myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Desensitizing myself

I really hate the messy ones!

When it comes time to feed Kitty, (my boa) I pickup the rat at petco which used to embarrass me a little because the ones they sell are supposed to be pets for little kids. Petco and petsmart ran all the little ma and pop pet stores out of business though, so I can't get my rats anymore from a shop that sells them only as feeders.[:'(] Any-who, I get home, go to the kitchen, and put the rat into a shopping bag and WHACK! I slam it on the floor! I do this because believe it or not, it's a more humane way to kill a rat than letting the snake strangle it for two minutes. Plus, the one time I let the rat in the cage conscious, it bit kitty while she was killing it. Can't blame the rat for trying to live, but I don't want my boa to get an infection from a rat bite.

The part of the "shopping bag rat prep" I dislike most is that sometimes it's a little messy. Sometimes the rat bleeds a lot from the nose, but once I think the rat's back split open![&:] It was hard to tell because it was so bloody! (grossed out yet?)

It used to be hard for me to kill the rats, but over time, I have become desensitized by it. I still don't like doing it, but it's what you have to do if you want to keep a snake for a pet I just figured I'd gross all you people out talking about it! LOL

I know, I'm a sicko huh? Here's some pics of kitty,
Name:  DSC02125.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  39.6 KB
Name:  a_big_rat009.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  127.2 KB

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Desensitizing myself

Try placing the rat in an empty jar, smaller the better, the co will build up and the o2 will become so low it will fall a sleep and finally expire.

Les messy for sure you cruel bastard. JK lol.

Cool looking snake though.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Beautiful snake how long is she

Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 AM
WAX

I had the same snake. Approximately 8 feet long and growing. I would buy a dozen frozen mice at a time...and she enjoyed everyone of them. I didn't have to deal with the messy bleeding noses. I always hated killing the mice. I did the same thing you did...smack them against the wall. BTW...that is one good looking snake.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

[:'(]

Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 AM

sweet...Id like to see a snake kill a rat.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice snake - they don't eat very often, though, do they?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I still can't figure out why anyone would want a snake for a pet. I used to work for a pet store and I didn't mind messing with them every once in a while, they can be a pretty amazing animals once you start to learn about them. But they still seem like a pointless pet to me.......different strokes for different folks I guess.

However I was at the pet store last friday and this guy was buying this cute little bunny for his snake. I think I would let the snake starve before I feed the cute little gray bunny to it (thinking of you Bluebird). Oh well just my .02 cents

Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

She's about 6 1/2 foot. They don't eat too often; I feed her about once every 10-14 days.

Here's some more pics:
Name:  Picture187-1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  144.9 KB
Name:  kittyhabitat007-1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  kitty009.jpg
Size:  104.6 KB
Name:  DSC02127-1.jpg
Size:  136.6 KB

Evil, I know you want to touch my snake!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

As I was reading all the replies it reminded me of all the complements I got.... lol and then I woke up lmao... Anyways nice snake man.

Quick Reply: Desensitizing myself