Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

DEALS GAP WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: DEALS GAP WTF

ORIGINAL: srobak

You have to ask why they want to shut it down?

Cmon... think about it.

The number of serious accidents, major injuries and deaths there in a given week outweigh almost any other stretch of road in the country. That kind of thing can only be allowed to go on for so long, and to be honest - I am very surprised it hasn't happened long ago.

You have to ask why... this is your answer... and it is the EXACT reason why I will not go.

yeah of course there are going to be all those accidents. of course there are going to be more serious accidents there then any other stretch of road because its one of the more famous roads in america. so everyone from newbies to ama riders are goin to go there. they are goin to want to go to that one road. the more people the go the chances are there are goin to be more accidents. if nobody new what deals gap was or even new about it. there wouldnt be nearly the amount of accidents. and it brought alot of tourism there. alot of people at least from ohio that i know would go to gatlinburg and while they were in gatlinburg would spend a day at deals gap just because its a famous stretch of road. hince the tree of shame

Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup was there this weekend. no tickets or accidents tho
ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

There is a road in this area called hwy 9. That is the same as gap as far as a ton of riders going there and a lot of accidents happening. I know today cops are pulling over just about every bike and inspecting them. A few people got tickets for not having the red rear reflector on the rear plate.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

thats allways good news hope it was fun

Old 09-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

it was

Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

It's on my list of places to ride. Probably won't make it happen till next spring though. Too many other priorities.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R

yeah of course there are going to be all those accidents. of course there are going to be more serious accidents there then any other stretch of road because its one of the more famous roads in america. so everyone from newbies to ama riders are goin to go there. they are goin to want to go to that one road. the more people the go the chances are there are goin to be more accidents. if nobody new what deals gap was or even new about it. there wouldnt be nearly the amount of accidents. and it brought alot of tourism there. alot of people at least from ohio that i know would go to gatlinburg and while they were in gatlinburg would spend a day at deals gap just because its a famous stretch of road. hince the tree of shame
You are missing the point - and your justification is a cop-out to be honest. It has less to do with the volume of traffic on the road, and more with the quality of driver, rider, and they TYPE of riding and driving that happens there. Interstate 90 between O'Hare airport and downtown Chicago sees more cars in ONE DAY than The Gap sees in a month - and while there is a daily accident or three there - an extremely limited number of them result in people going for a trip in the red and white box with the blinky lights.

The facts are this - there are way too many people riding that road at too high of a rate of speed who think that they are smarter than the machine they are riding, smarter than the road they are riding on, and smarter than the other people who are also riding or driving on the road. Flying through blind turns which have intersections at their apexes is not the smartest thing in the world to do. Nor is passing another car or bike on the wrong side of the ride, across a double-yellow on an EXTREMELY blind curve to the left. Yet video after video posted on youtube, and accident after accident all have the exact same circumstances...

Someone goes there who thinks they are God's Gift To Riding - and they get their *** handed to them on the 3rd or 4th pass, which they just happened to take a bit hotter than the ones before and therefor didn't have anywhere near enough reaction time when a car pulled out on said blind apex with an intersection, or when they or someone coming towards them is on the wrong side of the road. It is one thing to go and "have fun" and tear it up a little, it is another thing to push too far and be stupid by dramatically slicing your reaction time and distance because you pushed beyond your means, abilities, and what would be reasonable. The difference is that stupid hurts. People seem to get it into their heads that the gap is a closed circuit, and that the only thing they need to worry about is if the bike slides out from underneath them and how to avoid sliding into the trees.

It is dangerous for the people who do go there just to cruise it - because they get traffic stacked up behind them and end up getting passed on both the left AND the right, usually in sections that don't warrant any passing at all... I know that if I were to go there, I would not have to worry about wrecking because I crossed the double yellow, or because I ride beyond my means and abilities... however - everyone else there is the wildcard, and their idiocy puts you far more at risk. I know 3 people around Chicago who just in the last year went there and wrecked.... not including those from this forum. One went down because an on-coming bike went wide trying to pass another bike, crossed the double yellow and clipped her - she ended up with a broken collar bone. Another who was with her went to go get help - and had a car pull out of a grocery store right in front of him - he T-boned her. He is still learning how to walk again. The 3rd went wide around a right-hander and his front tire clipped the left front of the oncoming truck...

If they don't crack down on the type of riding that is happening there, this will continue to happen, and more people will continue to get seriously messed up or killed. There is no reason why it has to go to that extreme... you can still have fun and tear it up without putting yourself and all the other people around you in danger because you are being a dumbass. Slow it down a notch, space it out, don't pass... you can still have a hell of a lot of fun, and you won't come home in a cast or with a new stunt bike.

Fun... not stupid. Stupid hurts.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: srobak

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R

You are missing the point - and your justification is a cop-out to be honest. It has less to do with the volume of traffic on the road, and more with the quality of driver, rider, and they TYPE of riding and driving that happens there. Interstate 90 between O'Hare airport and downtown Chicago sees more cars in ONE DAY than The Gap sees in a month - and while there is a daily accident or three there - an extremely limited number of them result in people going for a trip in the red and white box with the blinky lights.

The facts are this - there are way too many people riding that road at too high of a rate of speed who think that they are smarter than the machine they are riding, smarter than the road they are riding on, and smarter than the other people who are also riding or driving on the road. Flying through blind turns which have intersections at their apexes is not the smartest thing in the world to do. Nor is passing another car or bike on the wrong side of the ride, across a double-yellow on an EXTREMELY blind curve to the left. Yet video after video posted on youtube, and accident after accident all have the exact same circumstances...

Someone goes there who thinks they are God's Gift To Riding - and they get their *** handed to them on the 3rd or 4th pass, which they just happened to take a bit hotter than the ones before and therefor didn't have anywhere near enough reaction time when a car pulled out on said blind apex with an intersection, or when they or someone coming towards them is on the wrong side of the road. It is one thing to go and "have fun" and tear it up a little, it is another thing to push too far and be stupid by dramatically slicing your reaction time and distance because you pushed beyond your means, abilities, and what would be reasonable. The difference is that stupid hurts. People seem to get it into their heads that the gap is a closed circuit, and that the only thing they need to worry about is if the bike slides out from underneath them and how to avoid sliding into the trees.

It is dangerous for the people who do go there just to cruise it - because they get traffic stacked up behind them and end up getting passed on both the left AND the right, usually in sections that don't warrant any passing at all... I know that if I were to go there, I would not have to worry about wrecking because I crossed the double yellow, or because I ride beyond my means and abilities... however - everyone else there is the wildcard, and their idiocy puts you far more at risk. I know 3 people around Chicago who just in the last year went there and wrecked.... not including those from this forum. One went down because an on-coming bike went wide trying to pass another bike, crossed the double yellow and clipped her - she ended up with a broken collar bone. Another who was with her went to go get help - and had a car pull out of a grocery store right in front of him - he T-boned her. He is still learning how to walk again. The 3rd went wide around a right-hander and his front tire clipped the left front of the oncoming truck...

If they don't crack down on the type of riding that is happening there, this will continue to happen, and more people will continue to get seriously messed up or killed. There is no reason why it has to go to that extreme... you can still have fun and tear it up without putting yourself and all the other people around you in danger because you are being a dumbass. Slow it down a notch, space it out, don't pass... you can still have a hell of a lot of fun, and you won't come home in a cast or with a new stunt bike.

Fun... not stupid. Stupid hurts.

I agree with you on the type of riding that goes on there. People think they are teh next guy on MotoGP and they are gonna go to deals gap and tear it up. Alot of them are sadly mistaken yes. I agree that it can be dangerous. In your post you said that there are more accidents on that stretch of road then any other in the country. thats because people know about deals gap and its difficulty. its appealing its a challenge. so yes some dumbass new rider will take his brand spankin new bike down there and get himself into a bad situation. but there maybe backroads just like the gap that aren't as famous so nobody goes there. but there still is that one dumbass pushin himself beyond his limits. yes there are stupid people are on that road and ride it beyond there abilities but that could happen anywhere. deals gap is just so famous they choose to do it there. unlike I-90. i agree with you stupid is painful yes i am not sayin go to the gap and be a moron but there is no reason why you can't go there and enjoy the road. but you can't do that anymore cuase the cops aren't prevent accidents they are there harassing everyone from cars to motorcycles. there are plenty of videos on youtube for that to. i see your point on bein stupid and i agree with you. but that isnt just cause to start harassing citizens that are tryin to enjoy a vacation with there family or friends.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: DEALS GAP WT

[:'(]WTF. Man we have US19 straight as a board, and people are getting killed on it all the time, it is one of the most dangerous roads in the US... If I want to ride anything technical I have to go to Brooksville (about a hour north), or Sarasota (about an hour South). Other that that I go get myself kicked out of one of the county parks.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ive never been there and i dont have that good of skillz i say who gives a crap. if i want to ride the gap and drive too fast thats my choice.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

It is just like here, freaking pigs! Here I used to go on the weekday and there are no cops or people, try the gap on the weekday.

Quick Reply: DEALS GAP WTF