Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Crude oil touches milestone of $100 a barrel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Crude oil touches milestone of $100 a barrel

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Some people might. But theres more to it than just stop driving big SUV's.

Anyway....speaking of energy...whats up with natural gas?!?!?! All the prices are screwed up.
You are right, it's a lot more complex than that. I think a lot of it right now is being driven up by Wall Street, as opposed to actual supply problems. Traders _think_ there might be a supply problem, and thus start driving up the futures. But just because they think there might be a shortage sometime in the near future, doesn't mean there actually is or will be. I think prices went up a while back because of the threat of a storm somewhere, but it never panned out so there was never any actual shortage to justify the higher prices. Happens all the time.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

it's gonna be all about solar power. they can't charge for the sun, right?[&:]solar ninja sounds lame[&o]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I agree with std. Gas is not going to last forever. Who knows it might run out in our lifetime or our kids life time. Yea I complain about gas prices too but I just stop buying as much of certain things. I cut back on buying energy drinks and I dont' buy star bucks any more either. If you really think about it gas is cheap. Look at it his way, people don't complain about the price of soda. Its more expensive then gas. Bottled water cost more then gas in some cases. The only diffrence is we need gas. I hope there is a big push for alternative fuels now. I can't wait to see a bike that runs on pure ethenal. Man that would be one fast bike.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266
I can't wait to see a bike that runs on pure ethenal. Man that would be one fast bike.
Unfortunately, ounce for ounce, ethanol does not have as much energy as gasoline, so an ethanol based engine will not be as potent as a gasoline based engine, everything else being equal.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats not working, thats living the dream .
So is 10 billion in profit in a quarter, and top execs taking home 3 to 14 million dollar bonuses PER QUARTER due to "record profits". That's not working... that's living a dream and raping people around you in the process. Tell you what - it sure would hurt a hell of a lot less to pay 3 or 4 bucks a gallon if I was taking home a multi-million dollar bonus too.

They wouldn't make it expensive if no one was buying it.
This is wrong. 5 years ago LCD/Plasma panels were 10k a pop for mediocre models. NO ONE WAS BUYING THEM. Now they are under 1k and they are flying off the shelves. The difference is people don't NEED LCD panels. As it isn't needed - if they were still prohibitively expensive, people still wouldn't be buying them. Gas on the otherhand - is pretty much a necessity. Kinda like milk. They can rape you on the prices because they know you need it. You don't really have much in the way of options. You will buy it... you might get a more efficient car, you might work two jobs. You might not go out as often on the weekends or travel as much on the holidays (as happened this year), but you WILL buy it, and when you start buying less as in the instances above - they will charge you MORE so they can CONTINUE to take home bonuses while you work yourself to the bone with 2 jobs.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw somewhere (i'm theres something on it around here too) about diesel bikes!! 100mpg.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Another reason I think the prices are getting so high is the main countrys that produce the oil live off that business. Like Iraq or was it Iran, oil is ther number 1 export. Their second is a toss up for second hand items and dates. They lose money on the dates they sale. Those countries are a one trick pony. Once the oil is gone the countries will be back in being a 3rd world contry.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw somewhere (i'm theres something on it around here too) about diesel bikes!! 100mpg.
yeah i read about one in diesel power. it set the land speed record at 130 and some change

Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackNinjaZX6R

yeah i read about one in diesel power. it set the land speed record at 130 and some change
I'd buy one....i bet they sound cool [8D]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

the concept would suck though i think. it would be good for one speed but i think it would be an oveerall borin ride

Quick Reply: Crude oil touches milestone of $100 a barrel