Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Chained

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chained

Soon.... I thought you where doing it already.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

you could also try soaking the chain in wd-40, cleaning it really good with a rag, then put ALOT of chain lube on it.(this way you wouldn't have to take the chain off the bike) Mine had similar problems when i first got it, chain lube did the trick. Also When i tightened it, i didn't do it on the tight spot and it would bind on the tight spot when the wheel went around. Its perfect now.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

hey lemac, all i got to say bro is good looking out..... i would pat you on the back, but your hump are in the way.... ha ha ha

Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lemac

Soon.... I thought you where doing it already.
ive been out of the game so long you might have to update me on all the new tricks.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

aight no prob man...

Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lemac, was it an RK chain that was binding? A few yrs ago, the RK's would not even make a 6 hr endurance race before binding. 1990 era. I like cleaning with WD40 before oiling also. After a few runs, I like pulling the chain and soaking her down in diesel. I would inspect the sprockets pretty good now though.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

First of all, how many miles are on the chain and sprockets. Are they hard miles?, ie burnouts, wheelies, etc?
The binding of the links pretty much means the chain is stretched to it's limits. What do the sprockets look like?
Are the teeth a little rounded or are they pointed sharp? Pointed sharp means they are shot.

Reason a I asked about the mileage is most people I know and ride with are pretty hard on their bikes and only
got about 20k from chains. They and my mechanic were shocked I got 34k from my stock chain and sprockets.
I've got 20k on my 2nd set and they still look new. I don't do wheelies or burnouts and I clean, lube, and adjust
the chain about every 500 miles, or once a week for me.

When you change, change it all. Chain and both sprockets. Just changing one or the other will only make the new
wear faster.

Remember to lube when hot and adjust when cold.

Just my opinion.

Kevin

Old 05-14-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I worked at a company that made chain, mostly transfer case and timing chains. They did make some roller chain, but it was for Harley I believe. Anyway, the chain that had round pins would kink and bind up when we rolled them for inspection. Espescially when it picked up a sliver or debris.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool thanks guys and gal... I'll keep this in mind and tell my friend. I dont know how many miles, but I noticed the sprocket was sharp so it is best to change it all then. Thanks again.