Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

BIKE INSURANCE

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Default BIKE INSURANCE

i own my bike so what am i looking to get as far as deductibles, i'm not too familiar with all this cause i own my car and have the minimum possible........what would a 100 or even a 250 deductible mean or do for me. short term and long term

Old 05-05-2006, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: BIKE INSURANCE

You obviously have a computer... so I would shop on line the only way to get a accurate quote and monthly payments.... To many variables to tell ya personally. good luck on it though...

Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM

Well, talk w/your agent to be sure, but there's usually two types of insurance. Comprehensive, and Liability. Liability basically means if you cause damage to something OTHER than your vehicle, your insurance will cover it. Comprehensive means that if you cause damage to YOUR vehicle, then your insurance will cover it.

The deductible is how much out of pocket you will have to pay in either case before your insurance company will pick up the tab. So, if you do less damage than your deductible, then insurance won't cover anything. If you do more damage, then you owe only your deductible. Oh, and your rates might go up... Gotta love it.

Also be aware that your insurance will likely have maximums in place, and may only pay for the current value of your bike, so if you bought it new, and total it, they won't give you enough to go buy a new bike... So if you've bought your bike on a loan, you may want to consider gap insurance, which will essentially pay off your loan, so you'll be closer to getting a new bike.

It's all a numbers game... Depending on how much your insurance is, you may want to go for a higher deductible on the logic that you'll save enough money to pay the higher deductible if you have a wreck, and if you don't wreck, it's money in your pocket. In my case, there wasn't much difference (like 20 bucks a year), so I just went w/the 100.

But if you know you're going to wreck soon, rather than later, you may want to pay for the higher deductible up front, so you're better covered...

That's my two cents worth...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:42 PM

well i own it, so i'm gonna get liability, i just wasn't sure what deductible to go for. and how it would help, i payed 3k for the bike, own it,etc.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

if you want liaility, then choose no coverage in the deductable section, that is for full coverage. More than likely at your age, progressive will be the cheapest.