Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

bike = driving mindset change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default bike = driving mindset change?

ok. we ALL know of the exponential amount of idiots out there in their priuses and hummers and whatever else. these non-motorcyclists (typically) are, to us, stereotypically the ones that will most likely cause the demise or wreck of our fellow bikers. with that in mind, many of us who don't share a 365 day riding season, occasionally drive cars like the rest of the inept populus.

so, has riding a bike at all changed your driving habits? are you more aware of details on the road, animals, people, and especially other bikers? do you tilt a littlein your seat when cornering? keep your eyes really level... maybe pick a more efficient line in the corners, clipping the apex just right, because of your honed abilities form your to wheeled ventures? do you notice gravel and other crap on the road? maybe being a biker has affected you in other ways?

i know my whole mindset changed after a while on the road without glass around me!!

definitely for the better.....

and you??

Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Default RE: bike = driving mindset change?

I know what you mean, and riding a bike is a whole different attitude and experience than being behind the wheel of just about anything that's got four wheels. The funny thing is thatbecause of that I really don't transfer my bike riding skills over towhen I'm behind the wheel ofa four-wheel vehicle, the experience of itandthe skills necessary being sodifferent.Except maybe when the tires on my car start going bald.

AndI will say that there's this perfect snakey curvedspot I've been dying to take my bikethrough up one gear higher, but the damn gravel that's always there won't let me do it.
Need to hire an on-call street-sweeper for that sweet littlecurving spot through the woods I guess.

Forever glad I finally got a license to ride on two wheels eventhough I waited until I was almost 43 toget it.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha christopher on the ripe ol age of 43.
Actually while driving my cage after riding has made me more aware. A good thing

Old 12-09-2007, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

absolutely... I can't speak for anyone else, but me - I am 1000x more aware of wtf is going on around me whenI am in a car - a direct result of me *having* to be when I am on a bike.

Best thing I could have done for my daily driving was to start riding.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

**** yes!Def impacted my driving on a more conservative level.

But what I hate most!; and I did it today. Dont you hate it when you get into bike mode when driving the cage?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

i use to deliver pizzas daily and cuz of that i was constantly aware of what was going on around me and that helped me with my bike and when i get into my car that made me even more aware of whats going on. But when a beautiful day comes and i have work im just jonesing for my bike

Old 12-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

It has absolutely changed the way I drive. When I see a bike I back off or give them a lot of room, total respect to the rider, even if I will never meet that person, or whether or not they care.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on that too

Old 12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pipedown

Dont you hate it when you get into bike mode when driving the cage?
After I ride the bike for a long time without needing to cage (read: week or two), I find myself leaning into the turns, and a few times I was even trying to shift. *shakes head* No - I am not at all obsessed.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I am alot more aware of what is around me compared to when I didn't have a bike. The funny thing is I didn't realize how many things I was missing until I got my bike. Having a bike will make you a better driver or you will get yourself into an accident.

Quick Reply: bike = driving mindset change?