Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

4th of july bike trip :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

oops... never posted the rest of the pix...

Mas fotos...

With a T-37 training plane which was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB

Small lake near the highway in Negaunee

Lighthouse at Marquette's Upper Harbor at Presque Isle

Presque Isle in Marquette

The Superior Dome - AKA Yooper Dome at the US Olympic Education Center at Northern Michigan University in Marquette. This is the largest self-supported wooden dome in the world. There are no internal supports or load-bearing locations - it is supported completely on it's edge. Think cutting a tennis ball in half and laying it open-face down on the table.

Nearing Lower Harbor in Marquette

I got shown up on my own bike... while I had Slavik's ST1300, he of course had my ZX9. On Saturday morning he leaves our complex at 5am. He is at my dad's place by noon. He stopped in Green Bay to meet a friend who had ridden there from Wisconsin Dells. We go to the airbase, get some food, and they continue on. They head north to Marquette, then west, then back south past Green Bay to Oshkosh. They then head west back to the Dells. Slavik then turns around and comes back to Chicago via Madison and Rockford. He rode almost 19 straight hours stopping only for a few breaks, food, and gas and put 910 miles on my bike. And you all thought I was insane with my riding!

In the end - it was a great trip. Good to see dad (I only get to see him twice a year usually), relax, and rack up some miles on the ST. It is an incredible machine - while 150 lbs heavier than the ZX9, it tosses around like it is a MUCH lighter bike. It soaks up bumps, has a very comfortable seat and riding position - yet the suspension is plenty firm for tossing it hard into corners and switchbacks. I took it on the curviest roads in the UP, and eliminated Slavik's chicken strips. Very stable and confident, great power delivery, and a maintenance-free shaft drive to 100k. It also power wheelies quiet easily and has no problem hanging out at 140.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

awsome pics sro

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Defineately nice pics sro, looks great.