Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

250 or 600

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 250 or 600

I am about 5'11'' and about 250 lbs and i don't know what bike i should get. i don't know if the 250 will have enough power for the size of me or not. so if anyone could give me some insight that would be great. thanks

and i didn't know where to post this so i thought this would be the most appropriate.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

It really depends on you. What you need to do is a really thorough self assessment (and don't lie to yourself) and decide if you are able to handle a 600. If you can keep your wrist out of the throttle, then a 600 is a better choice for you. However, if you are somebody who is going to twist the throttle wide open every time you get a chance, then you should start with a 250R. A 600 is not a good first bike for somebody who doesn't have the common sense to take things slow, and a bike is no place to show off the experience you don't have. And DEFINATELY get the appropriate riding gear and take a motorcycle safety course (MSF). Welcome to motorcycling.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks. i know i will definitely take it slow right after i get a bike whatever i decide to get because i value my life and wouldn't want to gas it all the time and end up doin something stupid and give bikers a bad name like a lot of people do. i just wasn't sure if for my weight a 250 would still be a fun bike or would it be really slow and not fun?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a friend that I talked into a Ninja 250 because I honestly believe he would have killed himself on a 600. I am, despite every effort, one of the guys that gives the rest of you a bad name. Ever since I got through the break-in period of my 600, I find myself almost incapable of keeping both wheels on the road.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

The main difference being, I've been riding for over 25 years.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah thats the thing though, you have been riding for a while. someone like me that has only riden dirt bikes couldn't do that. i also don't want a bike that sounds like a lawn mower or something driving down the road.

another thing is i don't want to have to buy a new bike in a year after i get used to and bored with the 250. im a college student and currently own a mustang gt and its not very nice at the pump. so i was trying to get something for this summer and spring as well to get me around that i can have fun on and get better than about 18-20 mpg.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a Mustang GT as well. I sold it after I bought my ZZR600. I know exactly what you mean. All I'm gonna tell you is to start with what your maturity level will allow you to survive.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

im not as much of an expert as vic, but if youre looking to just commute, the 250 is a better bet. however, it can be rather dull. the 250 gets a tad over 60mpg if i remember right and the 6r is at about mid 40's. but the 6 will destroy the 250 power wise. as long as you dont abuse the power of the bike youre not really in danger of it. if you ride wide open all the time youre gonna have some problems. but if you got a stang for anything other than show, youll probably get bored with the 250 and find youreself beating it later on. imho, spend a bit more, go with the 600 and ride kinda dull til you get used to it then start having some fun in the sanest way possible

Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Just remember, chances are, you're going to drop your first bike, so don't spend all your money on a brand new one. You can get a used ZZR600 for a good price.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah there is no way im buying new for my first bike. i have been looking on craigslist to get some that used and maybe even have a little cosmetic damage is ok.

my bike in a way would be a commuter but not entirely. and still the mid 40's or low 40's for gas mileage is double what i get right now. and like i said before im not gonna be riding wide open right after i get it. and i will get all the right safety equipment and i will be taking the driving courses too.

and thanks both of you too.

Quick Reply: 250 or 600