My stolen 9r is now found and needs your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My stolen 9r is now found and needs your help

So long story short, I reported My bike that was stolen from the front of my house in April and a months goes by and my friend give me a call and tells me "I FOUND YOUR BIKE!!" so I go to where he is and sure enough it was her on the side of the freeway INTACT !!!! How mother sucking lucky is that ?!!!! So I get her home and I try to assess everything, she had been dropped on both sides "just fairing work", The key part to the ignition is gone, so I try to start her up with a jump and a screw driver and sure enough she rumbles into life (thank the Kawi GODS) .I'm on a mission to get her back on the road, and my first step is to ask some question and hope you guys can help . so first problem I have is my tach won't work unless it is connect with jumper cables to another battery and as soon as I take them off it's like the tach just died on me but the bike is still at idle, I have no clue to what it could be . Second, it bogs so bad, I can ride it but it jus won't go above a certain rpm and I don't know what rpm that is cause my tach won't work lol. Could the bogging be cause by old gas or 87 octane? Tomorrow I'm pulling the plugs to see what they look like and go from there. Any help or comments would be so greatly appreciated thanks for your time guys

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Wheel, firstly, I'm glad you found your bike, reasonably intact! Sorry to hear it has a few mechanical niggles, now. Let's back up a bit, what year is it? I'm sure lying on it's side didn't do much for it. I'd begin by draining and refilling fluids (and filters) to make sure there's no contamination. I would drain the carburetor bowls, and refill (using the petcock; nothing magic here.) Double check the wiring to make sure the villains didn't cut or mangle things which could end up causing more damage. (If the tach is funky.....what ELSE did they hack?) I would go through the veritable LIST of mechanical and electrical system checks, as if the bike had been in someone's barn for 20 years. Check EVERYTHING. It's amazing how little time is needed to turn a perfectly fine bike into a boat anchor. Post up some pics if you like. Keep us updated. If we can help, we will.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jeff im highly thankful for the advice. next weekend I'm going to go threw everything. Right now I got everything on ordered plugs, filter ,tires, new ignition ,fairrings etc I need her back on the road before summer ends .I'll keep it updated thanks jeff

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

What he said, lol. Don't trust that anything is right, all fluids should be changed and refilled to specs, oil gas coolant etc, no telling what they threw in it. If its carbed clean them, should be done every year anyway so no harm there. Check your controls, make sure everything is properly connected and set to tolerences and nothing is bent. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, Wheel; we're waiting on that update......