a few dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: a few dumb questions

Get a complete chain and gear kit, meaning new chain, front and rear sprockets if your going to to the -1 +2 conversion.

BTW if your looking for more low end torque and mid range power this is the best mod you will ever do.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I just want to reiterate what our fellow members stated above.

Sprocket changes only change the powerband/speed to where you want that torque. Changing gears do not increase torque. Just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page here.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 PM

does anyone know a company that makes a kit to do -1 +2? the ones i am finding that are the entire kit are not for the 9r.

the problem i have is knowing what length chain to get... if i got the 15t front and the 43t rear would the 110 chain still work?

Old 10-19-2006, 06:36 AM

sorry i was just re-reading everything that is up here and i need to clarify some things. now you were saying i should only replace the front? and that equals 2 to 3 in the rear? doesnt that mean that i should get a front with one less tooth and a rear with 2 more teeth? and how does this relate to the chain? how do they calculate how many links and all that you need say if you replace the front one only -1 tooth dont you need a chain -1 also? or if i replace -1 front +2 rear dont i need a chain atleast plus one? the reason im having so much trouble with this is i havnt found a complete kit for my bike so i was looking at ordering seperate.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 AM

sorry for bein slow on this concept im just tryin to figure out how the number of teeth relate to the number of links on the chain.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

When I changed the sprockets on my bike (-1,+4) I did not have to get a chain with more links. I can't remember the formula to figure out the chain length but i would suggest getting a chain that is a few links longer than stock, a chain breaker tool and a rivet tool so when you get your sprockets on the bike you can break the chain right where it needs to be. Like I said I was able to keep the stock links with the cahin I bought.

Maybe someone else can answer that question more precisely. I will also check my resources to ssee if someone makes a kit for your bike.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Donvier

so bare with me when i ask questions that elementry school bikers should know. what is a slipper clutch? and when it comes to sprockets more teeth = more torque? or opposite? thanks guys.

Sup Donvier, good questions and you have gotten some good responses to them.
I know that the zx7's have had a slipper clutch since 1990. You just have to tweak some things to really make it a slipper clutch lets say. The other comments look right on the money. I know, you have a 9, so I would say that you will have a good chance of having a slipper clutch like the 7.
So a question for ya. How many sprockets and chains are you willing to buy for a hp machine that you have? per 3 months or even per year? For example, if the 9 comes stock with a 525 and you only cruise on the streets for 6 months lets say, you can get by with a 520 conversion. But if you raced that ride for an endurance run for 3 hrs, there is a very good chance that you will be replacing sprockets and chain. Prolly not a good example. Here is another: I have a 7, it uses the 530 chain, I can go right up to 2 yrs of racing while adjusting the stretch if I wanted to redo my geometry. So plenty of chain/sprocket for the hp/tq that it is used on. Now the 10 is abit more potent and is using the 525 chain setup stock. For street use only, it has to be adjusted more frequently but it also is still in good shape but in only a few rides. A 520 is lighter and smaller, but how many change outs and money are you willing to pay?

Basically, the higher number in chain, the more tensile strength. But depending on how you ride and what you ride really dictates what to use.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 PM

well my riding habits are probably going to change in the next year because in utah i can only ride 6-8 months out of the year but im planning on moving back to arizona where i can pretty much ride all year. money isnt really an issue when it comes to this bike but i prefer quality to quantity so id spend more money at one time rather than replace them every 6 months.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: suprakawigrl

When I changed the sprockets on my bike (-1,+4) I did not have to get a chain with more links. I can't remember the formula to figure out the chain length but i would suggest getting a chain that is a few links longer than stock, a chain breaker tool and a rivet tool so when you get your sprockets on the bike you can break the chain right where it needs to be. Like I said I was able to keep the stock links with the cahin I bought.

Maybe someone else can answer that question more precisely. I will also check my resources to ssee if someone makes a kit for your bike.
thanks that helped a lot exactly what i was tryin to figure out!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:34 PM

do you happen to know where exactly i would get the 530? the highest ive been able to find that has the correct sprocket sizes is 525