Zx7r gas tank options

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Default Zx7r gas tank options

My gas tank has some rusting going on inside. Should I just replace the tank, or can anyone tell me some other options? I'd prefer not to replace the tank.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Skip. A few of the "remedies" tried by other posters, include a handful of BB's and some solvent. Shake vigorously.....then shake some more. Pour over ice with a garnish of Absinthe. (Just kidding.)
There are also a few who have tried the Tank Kreme coating. I have no experience with this, but would think the "preparation" stage would be critical, prior to pouring-in the final coating solution.
If you're really hard core, you can cut the tank and either manually abrade the offending surface rust, or fab-in some new panels. (Not recommended for newbs.)
I may be missing some other remedies....guys, jump in?
Welcome again.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Thank you, my gas tank isn't super rusty but could use some Tlc. I found this video on YouTube,Watch "How To Remove Rust From A Motorcycle Gas Tank wit…" on YouTube,
How To Remove Rust From A Motorcycle Gas Tank wit…:
, seems simple enough.. Any input on that?

Next, how long do I shake vigorously? Do I shake by hand or is their a machine I should use? How do I get the BB's out, the easiest, after im done? What solvent do I use with the BB's?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Shake vigorously until your arms fall off or the rust is removed. If your arms fall off, the rust won't matter anyway.
(You MAY be able to use a "paint shaker" at a local paint store, depending upon your relationship with the owner. The "gallon-sized" bucket clamp-down electric type should work. Might be pretty noisy with the BB's, though. Clamp it tightly and hold your ears!)
Getting the BB's out? I'd say turn the tank over and they should roll out the fuel filler. May need to shake a couple times, but should flush-out with whatever you're rinsing the solvent out with.
As for the solvent, that's like asking "what's the best motor oil?" I've heard of people using everything from a mixture of kerosene and diesel, to straight vinegar, to classic Coke, to high-powered nasty stuff that kills bugs fast. You might check with local body shops and/or automotive paint supply stores (i.e. 3M, PPG, Ditzler, etc.) I'm sure there's a "solution" right for you. --sorry, bad pun.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.