ZX6-R wont start, no spark or fuel pump priming

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Default ZX6-R wont start, no spark or fuel pump priming

I just got an 05 ZX6-R that has been laid down, then sat for almost a year. The fuel pump is not priming when the key is turned on, and there is no spark. Also the oil light stays on, and the FI light flashes when the bike is cranking sometimes (but not all the time). What could the problem be? It seems to me that it there is a sensor that is not letting the ECU turn the fuel system and ignition system on. The vehicle down sensor seems ok, but is there any way to check it? Also, it should not matter that there is no headlight, tail light, or turn signals to start it correct?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ZX6-R wont start, no spark or fuel pump priming

Tap the down sensor while trying to start it. Check the shut-off switch on the RH handlebar; make sure it is working properly. Ifa wire/sare pinched or broken due to the crash, it will not start.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 AM

I tried messing with the down sensor, and between messing with that and messing/cleaning the fuses we got it to start the other night. It ran for about 20 seconds then shut off. It didnt sound like a running out of gas shut off either, it was an abrupt shut off like the ECU shut it off. But not sure what would cause this.

Also, we did pop the down sensor open to look at the little pengelum thing in there, and it looks alright. The only things not hooked up are two plugs in the front (A black one with like 5 or 6 wires and a small gray one with two wires) which im guessing are headlight and front turn signals, since the front fairing and headlight are missing, and the bike has a new tail section but the tail light plug is broken so theres like 4 or 5 wires on the back that arent connected, but i made sure they are not shorting out.

The bike has no spark and the fuel pump does not prime. Also the oil light is on when you turn on the key, but goes off while cranking. Also, when cranking if you give it a little gas the FI light faintly flashes intermitently.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

A few questions:

Have you left the bike for a couple of hours without the battery hooked up to try and reset the ECU, maybe leave it unhooked over night?

Does the exhaust servo move when you put the key to on? If you remove the driver seat, you can see the valve with a cable going to it that will move as a check before starting.

Have your tried another ECU?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That would be my advice; try another ECU. Does the bike have an alarm on it?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM

The battery has been out for over a day now and that did not help.

The exhaust servo did operate earlier before it started then died, but now it does not move.

I dont have another ECU to try.

As for the alarm, im really not sure but I dont think so. I was wondering if it had the immobilizer but from what I can tell it dosnt.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by MorphiasX
I just got an 05 ZX6-R that has been laid down, then sat for almost a year. The fuel pump is not priming when the key is turned on, and there is no spark. Also the oil light stays on, and the FI light flashes when the bike is cranking sometimes (but not all the time). What could the problem be? It seems to me that it there is a sensor that is not letting the ECU turn the fuel system and ignition system on. The vehicle down sensor seems ok, but is there any way to check it? Also, it should not matter that there is no headlight, tail light, or turn signals to start it correct?
did you find out the problem I’m having the same problem on everything , laying the bike Down sat for a year and no power to fuel or no spark