General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

zx6-E wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Default zx6-E wont start

i have a 1994 zx6-E that wont start. just rrrrrr... rrrrr and nothing.itwont start. the other night i replaced the plugs, fresh gas, drained bowls. still same thing. also when i try to start it, almost immediatly stinks of gasoline. can anyone help?? thanks and appreciate any feedback.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Default RE: zx6-E wont start

I am having the same problem you are, my post "no spark" try pulling the plugs out and crank the motor to see if you are even getting any spark. You may have the same issue as me. My bike has no spark at all. Now i'm looking into the pick-up coil and ecu to see where the issue is.

good luck

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

if you can afford a bit of time (maybe mywednesday night) for me to look at mine, i'll tell you if your should check something you might be overlooking..

gotta find out for myself, first!

i'll let ya know what it is anyway.

ok.. now on my 7-R, theres a resister in the key switch. power comes in at 12V on the wire wire. it goes out as 12V on the brown, BUT.. the resistor in the switch knocks down the power to 6 volts.. this 6V feed runs ONLY to the ECI/CDI.
i'm pretty sure the 6-C/D/E have the same 6 volt feed.. should be a gray wire.

i have 2 "E" models, and they're both apart, so i'll look at the keyswitch assembly when i get to my shop.

i know 100% forfact the CDI will interchange, (between my 7-R and both 6-E's)so that leads me to believe that the 600's have the same anti-theft low-voltage CDI feed.

anyways, sometimes this resistor burns up, or the wire breaks off inside the keyswitch.

may not be the problem, but it'll give you another thing to consider looking at.

chances are, if theres no spark, you should NOT get fuel, either.
the fuel pump relay gets it's gate pulse from the #1/#4 coil pack signal. the #2/#3 signal just runs right to the other coil.

with this setup, fuel will only me fed at the same time the signal feeds the coil to the 1/4 coil.. it's NOT a constant feed.

so, if you HAVE fuel flow, you're looking at a bad coil pack.

if you don't have fuel flow, look at the 6 volt feed, and trigger coil. the CDI's rarely go bad on these things tho, unless it's shorted badly.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM

appreciate the info guys. and would love more feedback when u can.i do have an update! wednesday morning i figured id go try to start it for the hell of it. except this time it actually sounded like it would start, norrrrrr....rrrrrrr. and it actually started. i ran it for 5 mins but had to leave for work. so 8 hrs later i come home and start it. it starts right up! i let it run for about 5 mins with full choke (the only way it would stay running) but earlier that morning it ran fine without choke.so i finally let down off the choke and it died!! and now im right back where i started rrrrrr.....rrrrrr.....rrrrrr. nothing.?????? fuel problem???