zx 6r or gsxr 750

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Default zx 6r or gsxr 750

sup guys new here, but right now i have a 04 handa f4i and with my wife on the back its just "eh" and with just me its "cool". i really like the kawi and gsxr and i would like some opinions on driving both with and with out passengers. i have only drove my cbr my buddies gsxr 600 and my other buddies gsxr 1300. and i would like somthing in the middle such as good corner and very nice power. i've got my f4i to 165 mph and it was about out of rpm what is the top end w/ these bikes. thanks alot and please give lots of opinions.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: zx 6r or gsxr 750

Hey poobank (by the way is there a interesting story behind that name?)

Anyways, I learned to ride on a f4i so maybe I can help a little. Between the two the 636 feels quite a bit faster, if I am not mistaken I think the f4i has 100hp at the wheels where the 636 has about 118. When riding by yourself the 636 just rocks! I have no complaints at all with its power or its cornering capabilities. However with comparing the f4i and 636 with cornering I would think they would be pretty close. (of course that depends on the rider) When riding with a passenger there is a noticable difference. I think this would be the same with any 600cc bike, however I feel there is still ample power.

The top speed on the 636 is about 165 as well. Hopefully this helped some, if you got a 636 I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Merdox

Hey poobank (by the way is there a interesting story behind that name?)

Anyways, I learned to ride on a f4i so maybe I can help a little. Between the two the 636 feels quite a bit faster, if I am not mistaken I think the f4i has 100hp at the wheels where the 636 has about 118. When riding by yourself the 636 just rocks! I have no complaints at all with its power or its cornering capabilities. However with comparing the f4i and 636 with cornering I would think they would be pretty close. (of course that depends on the rider) When riding with a passenger there is a noticable difference. I think this would be the same with any 600cc bike, however I feel there is still ample power.

The top speed on the 636 is about 165 as well. Hopefully this helped some, if you got a 636 I don't think you would be dissapointed.
merdox's is right about the 636.... for long rides the 636 is very comfortable... unlike the gixxer where your leaned forward more, so on long rides you'll certainly feel like you want to get off the bike and walk....

Old 02-16-2006, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

That reminds me.....when I bought my bike. I narrowed it down between the Honda RR and of course the 636. I went with the 636 mainly because it was so comfortable to sit on. That and the Honda dealership sucks here. However between the F4i and the 636 the f4i might have a more comfortable seating position. As you know a person can sit almost upright on the F4i making for a nice sitting position. On the 636 you are leaned over a little which might be abit of a change for someone coming from an F4i.

best of luck to you

Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Merdox

That reminds me.....when I bought my bike. I narrowed it down between the Honda RR and of course the 636. I went with the 636 mainly because it was so comfortable to sit on. That and the Honda dealership sucks here. However between the F4i and the 636 the f4i might have a more comfortable seating position. As you know a person can sit almost upright on the F4i making for a nice sitting position. On the 636 you are leaned over a little which might be abit of a change for someone coming from an F4i.

best of luck to you
and if you don't like the way the 636 leans you forward, your not gonna like the way the gixxer leans you forward even more... but try it out yourself... just go to a stealership that has both bike... sit on each bike for ten minutes... with both feet off the ground... then you'll get a fairly good idea which one will feel better for you...

Old 02-16-2006, 05:55 PM

my 05 636 beat my freinds 05 750 gixxer

we raced like 10 times and i pulled him everytime...

both were stock at the time

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 PM

i have to say that overall the 636 is a better bike, but by the times ive seen at the drag strip, the gixxr750 is a bit faster.... hell its got 114cc more.... but dont think its nowhere NEAR as confortable and total package as the 636

Old 02-18-2006, 12:24 AM

When looking for a new ride I always first consider what is the primary use for the bike. Street? track? both?? I also consider how much money I'm willing to invest with the purchase price, gear and mods. Thinking through your options is very important because there are so many variables involved. Your experience, what type of riding you do the most, what is most important to you, IE: Performance, handling, comfort, looks?

I have owned too many bikes to count and my latest purchases were based on two things. I bought an '05 GSXR 750 to use primarily as a track bike because I didn't want or need a liter bike to keep up and it allowed me to save some money for up-grades. The bike handles extremely well, much like a 600 and slightly more stable at top speed. I have ran with ZX6's and the power is close but the difference is in the gearing. The 750 has a little more torque which helps drive off the corners better than the Kawi. I have read the previous posts about how uncomfortable the Suzuki is, I remedied the problem by putting on adjustable clip-on's as well as adjustable rear sets. The ergo's of any sport bike can be altered to suit the rider. This pic was taken after I did about half the mods I ended up doing.

The second purchase was my ZX-6R. I bought it after the Suzuki because I found it dirt cheap by accident. It had 900 miles on it and was in perfect condition. I was very supprised as to how well it handles, very flickable and doesn't mind changing lines in the middle of a turn. Straight line speed is impressive though it doesn't get serious about power till after 10k. I have the ZX and GSXR geared very close and I have to say the ZX-6R is very close to what the Gixer is with fewer mods. I turn faster lap times on the Suzuki but that may change with more seat time on the ZX. They are very similar bikes yet very different in how you ride them. What I mean is the Suzuli feels more stable and I tend to ride it more aggressively. The harder I ride it the better it gets. The Kawi feels good from the start but gets a little nervous as you start to hammer it. I'm installing an Ohlin's three way adustable shock on the rear and Ohlin's internals in the front forks to cure that problem.

Over all I'm very happy with both bikes. I do ride the ZX-6R on the street and have a blast riding with my buddies who are all on litre bikes. I have no problem keeping up and or ahead of most of them but I only ride 7/10ths on the street. One thing to remember is that no matter how much power a bike has, you rarely hold the throttle wide open for more that a second or two, especially in 6th gear! So who gives a rats butt if one bike is 7, 10 or 15 MPH faster on top end? How many times will you ever get there on the street? The point is to ride to have fun and enjoy yourself. If you are on a bike that is comfortable, has enough power for your ability, and has looks you are happy with....Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Talk to as many people who have experience as possible. Remember to consider the source of the information you get. Does the person have allot of motorcycle knowledge? I read so many posts on forums from guys who slam bikes because of rediculous reasons like "it's a Honda" "it looks like crap" or "it's undependable because they have always been"... Just to remember, when you ask questions, listen for the facts and ask questions that will help you figure out what will or won't work for your application.
I don't know what would be the best bike for you, only you can decide. I hope you find the right fit. GOOD LUCK!