will idle then die on cold starts..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

wow sounds like something is going on with your baby. Wish i could help you out adramalech. I have a copy of the service mannual if you need one for your bike it's for the 05 and 06 zx6-r ninja. send me a pm if you would like a copy of it.

Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like the shop is the best thing for it right now. let us know what it was and how much to fix it.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

k will do...it will be atleast 200-300 dollars to figure out what is wrong...and depending on if it is just a busted o-ring on the piston to just a throttle sync issue will the total amount be figured...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

okay so i am thinking that i ran the bike too lean when i took the power commander off and the added fact that my air filter was dirty and might have been pulling in oil....that i think i fouled up my pistons and maybe even my cylinder heads...etc. burning a hole or warping them from running to lean...

i am thinking of really taking apart my motorcycle again...and this time pulling the new plugs out....then taking apart my top end and then looking at all gaskets, seals, and pistons, cylinder heads, and washers etc. for any abnormal ware amoung looking for any oil residue on anything where oil shouldn't be...

the main thing i know is that i am getting the thumping sound like the bike turns over when i go to hold down the start button and hold the throttle open, it is priming and it is sparking so nothing as seized up and neither is the battery bad or the fuel pump...

i tightened down the plugs when i put them down so maybe i am thinking something bad with pistons/cylinder heads...

i was wondering for just checking them out any extra tools i should invest in???
for taking apart the top end and getting down to the block??

because i don't wana get in over my head but if i do this i wana make sure i do this right and that what i do doesn't screw something up even worse...i don't have the money to take it to the shop because they just want like 200-300 bucks to figure out what is wrong and then i still have parts to buy if they find it out...it could cost me an extra 300-1000 bucks for labor and parts which i really don't have lying around...so it is up to me to figure out how to get down to the nitty gritty...

so what i am asking is if i should try and take apart the top end which i think the problem is....and once i find the problem how do i go about not having it again??? i know the bike was running lean so should i try to make it richer by getting a new exhaust and power commander??? or should i just run at a richer fuel?? i am running 91+ octane right now...

i really just don't want my fricken bike just hanging out in my garage for another couple months so things can really go bad...and me have to get a new bike...it is my main mode of transportation...

i was looking at the manual for taking the top end apart and it seems straight forward but it says something like taking out the coolant out and other stuff which seems really complicated...

i am a noob when it comes to anything on the bike besides the spark plugs, air filter, air box, fuel pump, lights, exhaust, and some other stuff like oil changes is are really all i know about how to replace and fix on my bike everything else like coolant flushing and cylinder compression, throttle sync and other things like cam chain stuff is a great mystery to me...

Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

okay so i retook off gas tank and retook off the air box...furthermore undid all the plugs to the throttle body...and also unplugged all of the stick coils...

now if i want to check the throttle body the service manual says to remove it...so i am trying to...but i have three problems that i don't know how to deal with when taking it off..

1. it says remove the throttle case to make the throttle cable slack...i undid both screws but it looks under the cover to be a pulley system under that so should i try and undo the wires off the pulley or should i try and remove the throttle handle and pulley system off the handle bar???

2. what does it me to remove the throttle cable lower ends??? does it mean the sub-throttle part on the left side of the throttle body??? the lever looking thing with all the springs on it and stuff?? and how do i go about taking that off???

3. it says CAUTION: when removing the throttle body assy, put the main throttle valves in the throttle bore, be careful to damage to valves??? what does that mean and how should i go about not damaging it???

the other thing that gets me is if i should take off the cylinder head cover??? is it worth it to take a look inside???

1. it says remove Vacuum Switch Valve (i know where that is) and it gives instruction on how to take that off....but it then says right after that to:
Free the heat insulation rubber plate????
wtf is that??? and how would i un-free it when i was done????

2. it says to once the 6 bolts are taken off and the ground wire removed and the stick coils and spark plugs removed....and the throttle body assembly etc...etc...etc...

then it says this to when re-installing the cylinder head cover:
Replace the head cover gasket with a new one.
Apply silicone sealant to the cylinder head
*Sealant - Kawasaki Bond (Silicone Sealant): 92104-0004*

now this seems to be really complicated should i do this??? and what can i gain from doing this...can i see the pistons and or cylinders to make sure they are okay????

sorry there are many questions but i am in desperate need of help!!!

i am not going to try to take it any further without a response that way not to screw up the throttle body assembly!!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

okay i got the cable off the pulley on the handlebar

i can also get the throttle wire off the pulley on the left hand side but i cannot seem to figure out if i need to remove anything for the idle screw stuff or does it just come with the throttle body???

another thing is should i remove the bolt holding the wire tube down??? the top screw on sub throttle assembly(the system on the left side)...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

wow finally got it off...i just undid the throttle cables and it came right out...

i saw that the lower throttle cable on the sub throttle has be damaged one of the lines that are braided together has broken i am going to probably replace it....don't want that snapping on me in the middle of a ride...

besides that i just plugged the holes in the bottom of the block with a clean rag to keep dust out of it...furthermore, i wrapped the throttle body assy. into a clean rag....with the bottom part protected...i went through it and cleaned off alittle carbon deposites off the inside of the bottom of the throttle body...

i will most likely take off the cylinder head cover off to be able to see further evidence if there has been anything fouling things up...

EDIT: okay so i looked down the 4 holes that go down into the combustion chamber from where the throttle body sits...and guess what i saw some debris down at the bottom...like some dusty sandy stuff....

i put a stick magnet down there to make sure it wasn't metal shavings from say like burning a hole in my piston....etc... and some of it was metal shavings....and some was just regular debris...

i am probably going to just put it back together again...and just have the bike shop drain the coolant and finish off checking the pistons and maybe even just pull the engine out...

Last edited by adramalech; 01-16-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

keep us posted adam!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i put a stick magnet down there to make sure it wasn't metal shavings from say like burning a hole in my piston
That method will not work on pistons obviously, but rings, valves, some bearings, etc are still made of steel. Good luck on the results.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

this is all very interesting. i think im going to do that spray stuff underneath the tail. my akra slip on comesin tomorrow

Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay so i found out after some money and a real mechanic looking at it that i fried the engine.....

everything is good except like everything from the top-end down....

now everything else is good from what the said...just like the cylinder heads are done...the pistons all done.....the pretty much said take off the throttle bodies and then ripped the block off and threw it away...so i have all the left over parts and the bike otherwise is still in mint condition...

it was an accumulation of one....a custom map that i paid for was actually hurting my bike....so be wary all of u ppl...never get a map and think that is good enough.....if i do get another bike will defiantly have a real dyno run to make a custom map....
and two some kind of malfunction that wasn't covered under warranty about i think the fuel pump when it blew...i have replaced the fuel pump with like a brand new one...

so long story short i need some help in selling the bike...

if anybody on the forums wants to buy it they email me at jwtskater@aol.com

as i said before the bike engine was fried and it would take like maybe 4k dollars to fix it...but if someone wants to use it as a race bike you can send in the bike and get it rebuilt for like 3k dollars and then pay 1k in shipping and handling to like some race bike companies...and as i said before...you would have like a custom built engine in a mint condition bike

i was also wondering if ask for like around 2000-3000 dollars would be too much to ask??? i really need some advice on it...i will post some pics soon when i get around to it...

the fairings are cut with shogun sliders installed....the bike has only 25k miles on it....and is a 2006 zx-6r... i have never dropped it.....i have made sure to service it correctly from the manual and any big fixes done by the shop...

it is in good title and registration payed up till nov. 2009...

it has aftermarket clutch and front brake levers....and aftermarket foot pegs...and a yoshimura rs-5 exhaust...also can put in a pciii usb as well and has like only 5k miles on the new mechilen pilot power 2's.....

i just don't know what to do with it...i really don't know how much it would be worth....i didn't mod much....and the only thing missing as i said before was like parts of the block that blew...

it would be safe to assume that the bike will come as is....and i will hand over every part....and i have the original windscreen and also a custom license plate kit

pretty much i am wishing to get advice on selling what is left over and restarting with a new bike...

i learned my lesson and never again will i mod the bike without consulting a real mechanic...and only do full exhaust systems...

i am starting to save for 2010 zx-10r i have been riding since 2005 nov. so i have some experience under my belt and road my last bike really good...

bottom line...

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Quick Reply: will idle then die on cold starts..