will idle then die on cold starts..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Another question; when you put the plugs back on, did you get the right coil connectors to the right coils. Is the coil harness ground wire on top of the valve cover connected and tight? If everything is okay, I still think you have a exhaust heat issue frying your electronics. The racebikes kept on burning up PCIII's and ECU's because of exhaust heat so I know that is a definite possibility especially when you say your PCIII is bad. All that heat just get trapped inside the tail fairing and cooks stuff.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

i think i might go with a motowerkz exhaust and get a new pc3usb. i still don't know what is wrong and i am going to take the bike into the shop soon...i just hope it isn't something really bad...

Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Start from scratch: Check for spark, then fuel. If you have spark, spray starting fluid in the intake to see if it starts. If it does, it's a fuel delivery problem. I had a relay junction box go bad on one of my bikes; plugged in another one and it fired right up. Check your clutch and sidestand switch also.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

okay will do speed...i also am checking to see if it was sucking in oil since i was down almost a full quart when i put in little over 3 3/4 quarts of 10w-40 redline sythetic in like less than 2000 miles and a couple weeks!! i pulled apart the air box didn't see any residue of oil anywhere....but i did see that the bike was very dusty from the vent on the front fairing to the pistons there was some dust and minuet debris...i also checked the fuse box all fuses are good and all my plugs and connectors are correctly plugged in and secure...

u mean like charcoal starter fluid?? like when i am trying to start the bike just squirt it into the intake??

i have some questions though....i vaguely remember how to take off my fuel tank...but haven't done it recently...can i just undo the fuel lines and use a rag to keep gas from the fi plugs and other electronics...(which is how i did it last time) but when i put it back on is there anything special i need to do???

another thing is that it isn't warning....but it is priming....so could it still be the kill switch or the kick stand switch???? and if so how do i find out how to test them...i lost my service manual that i found online and printed out so i am kind of winging it on how to check stuff...

i really need another copy of the service manual for a zx636d6f does anybody have a pdf copy they are willing to give me??? or a url to find one??

Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

okay i found the manual....so i am going to start by taking off the fuel tank looking in fuel lines for obstructions and looking in the vent for any obstructions...

then taking air box off and checking for distorted or broken or even blackened spark plugs...and checking piston and o-rings...

then going to check stick coils...

i had one question though...does the error code from the ecu come from a blinking light at the end of one of the leads close to the ecu???

should i try starting the bike and look at the error code than check the manual???

Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

okay so i took off gas tank...it was okay...and took off the air box...and stick coils...took out the spark plugs and wallah guess what...they are all black and at least one of them has like black like residue on the end...like it was mixing gas and oil together and was starving the air....so i am going to replace the spark plugs again and see if it will start...if it does then i am definitely running some rxp through this thing...

================================================== ================================================== =====

EDIT: okay so i went to the bike shop with the plugs...they say that it could be that i did suck oil in because of a dirty air filter...but it could also be that i have a problem with my throttle body is desynchronized or something of that nature...

also said that i should be running a bmc air filter or just stock because k&n allows too much stuff to get put through and could cause my plugs and other parts to foul up...another thing is it could also be a blown o-ring on the piston or something like that...but if i can get it to start i doubt it could be that... i am also running ngk 9's instead of 8's they say running 8's (because they run hotter will allow less fouling up)

so i am going to put the plugs in and put everything back together to see if it will start right up...if so i am going straight back over to the bike shop to figure out wtf is wrong with this pos!!!

Last edited by adramalech; 12-30-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

speed. thanks for the correction man!! sorry for any confusion stemmed from my ignorance..

adramalech, A.. noo!!! starter fluid like eather, fyi not grillin.. B. didn't catch where you were from uh.. thinkin here.. a sync issue will always cause a problem, but i'm not 100% it'd be to the extent you're witnessing.

ima do a little reading and all.. maybe i'll find an idea..

Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL i know it was something like that....

i am from vacaville, California...(alittle below uc davis), but right now...i am living with my grandma, which is close to San Juan high school...in citrus heights, California...

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

i am totally thinking this entire issue with the bike has to be the engine top-end...

but i am going to leave it up to the bike shop to inspect it and report the issue...because i have not the resources to be monkeying with vacuum sync...and with compression...so i am going to let them work their magic....it is a small price to pay for the bike....

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

okay well i finished putting it together this morning and guess what...no start! wow what a shock that was...well atleast i can say that it isn't the plugs...and isn't the fuel pump or the air filter...so i have a tender kit on the battery to charge it...then try again...i mean i did everything with installing new plugs like text book...same with recharging the air filter....so i really leads me to be that something else wrong..

Quick Reply: will idle then die on cold starts..