running hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Default running hot

I have a powercommander, which adds more fuel of course. Should that make my bike run significantly hotter? I recently replaced my radiator due to a rock puncture as well and put on a rock grill. I was thinking that may add a few degrees (?). I run water weter with distilled water, but have been told that water transfers heat better than anti freeze by lance keigwin and that it should not cause the bike to run any hotter. what about an air bubble in the system? What is a correct routine for properly filling and checking the coolant system. I replace the radiator, filled it up, ran it, let it cool, then filled it again. My bike is running around 215-225 pretty consistently where as before I hardly remember ever seeing it that high. I have recently been riding it in socal instead of nor cal, which is where I have put on all my miles and it is a lot cooler up there. Is this a standard temp for the socal area and am I just make a big deal about nothing? Or is this a hotter than average temp? thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Default RE: running hot

THere is only one resaon i know the anwser to your qestion! and its cus Im a car tech(in training) water does not cool at good as a 50/50 mix of anti freeze! and anti freeze dose not cool as good as a 50/50 blend of water. look it up on a bottle sometime! Plus anti freeze has anti carrosives in it! running with just water with cause you to replace your radator more often or at the least get it cleaned! so who ever told you running with just water was way way off! you are doing two bad things here! i recomend you get some anti freeze in there right away!!

Old 06-26-2006, 09:55 PM

"water does not cool at good as a 50/50 mix of anti freeze! and anti freeze dose not cool as good as a 50/50 blend of water"

im a little confused with this? i am familiar with the anti corrosion in the anti freeze and the different boiling point. iv been told to change it every two months or so.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 PM

It defies Logic but thats the case!! and also pressure for every 1 pound of pressure in your system it rasies boiling point by 2 dagrees! 50/50 mixture is the best thing for cooling!!! plain and simple! try it for your self! get three pots three of the same pots put water in one antifreeze in a nuther and the third make 50/50, see what one boils first!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:22 AM

What dustin is saying is a 50/50 mix is better than straight water and straight antifreeze. This has been my experience as well. Only ran water on tracks that won't let you run antifreeze!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 AM

thats why i ran it. the problem is that i did the radiator, water weter, rock grill, powercommander, and exaust all at the same time so its hard to determine what the problem is if there is one. my buddy told me i should run the bike with the cap off untill the thermostat opens. im going to try that when i get back from work.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:52 AM

when you put your pc on did you load the right map for your exhaust......you may be running lean which could couse you to run hotter

Old 06-27-2006, 04:54 AM

kyle racing did it for me and i am have worse gas milage so i dont think it is because its lean. i am going to take it to a shop and have them flush the system. i got the radiator off ebay and am thinking that it may have been cloged or something. thats the only thing i can figure. i hate taking my bike to have someone else work on it, but unless anyone has any other ideas im at a loss.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 AM

if the radiator was used it may be clogged like you are saying also check you thermastat and make sure it is working or just replace it....as far as the pc map what exhaust are you running, and what air filter do you have

Old 06-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Your bike should actually run cooler with the water/ wetter combo than with antifreeze... Yes, antifreeze does raise the boiling point, but water has a higher radiance value than antifreeze does. In the summer I run the exact same solution. Distilled water, rust inhibitor, and 6 ounces of water wetter, and I rarely hit 200. And that's in 100+ temps. Water does run cooler than antifreeze. If it did not, than you could fill up with 100% anifreeze and it would run cooler right? Wrong. you will overheat quickly. That's because antifreeze can not radiate the heat from itself fast enough. Same theory as convection.

There was an independent test done on water wetter, vs 50/50 water/ antifreeze vs water alone.... 50/50 water/anti mix ran at 227. water alone ran at 220, water wetter/ water mix ran at 203 ......

I'll see if I can find you more stats on that for ya....

Make sure you do not have an air bubble. Isn't there a bleed screw somewhere on that? I think there is. At what temp does your fan kick on? And if you are running lean, it will cause you to overheat also.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/53738/index4.html

http://www.nabble.com/Engine-Cooling...-t1789463.html ....this article explains better why water wetter cools better than anti freeze....

GL man...

Quick Reply: running hot