Premium fuel = better mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Premium fuel = better mileage???

Damn, I only got 34 miles to gallon on 92 octane last fill up. Guess I should stay out of the throttle...or check my math again!

Just my 2 cents but I always ran high octane in street or dirt ( mmm, VP ) for the extra 20 cents on 3 or 4 gallons why not?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afboundguy

Here's my 2 cents...

Our engines have high compression ratios and when you run higher octane gas in a high compression engine it works better. Premium gas is only supposed to be run in high compression engines or turbos. I get a kick outa retards that put 93 octane in there ford f-150 what a waste of money it does nothingextra for there engines essentially.

With high compression engines and high octane gas the gas burns better, keeps your engine cleaner because, andless carbon build up on the valves and pistons. You burna better percentageof premium gasand thats why you getbetter MPG and better power.

I used to race my AWD turbo DSM (talon and eclipse) so I know a little bit about the premium vs regular gas. And it doesn't help that my dad used to work at a dnyo shop and is a master mechanic that works on race cars and high end cars lol.
Absolutely Correct. You only need to run the maximum octane "Required"/ recommendedfor that engine; anything more is a waste of money. Our bikes have 12:1 or higher compression ratios and require premium fuel or you will causedetonation inthe engine. The main & rod bearigs will fail, the rod and or pistons can break under a lot of detonation. I've seen the results first hand.

VP and other race fuels have more octane/ additives that prevent pre-ignition & detonation (Knocking) and also allow higher timing advances for more power output especially at high RPM use.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 to aszraell266

I had so much fun with my 1GDSM...

so much fun...

so many blown up engines and parts...

so much fun fixing the blown up engines and parts...

Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

I miss my modded 1st gen dsm.
Good to see I am not the only one with a DSM problem.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../twin_rear.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...100_1284-1.jpg

Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

05ZX6R did you used to belong to NewEnglandDsm club?

That house looks familiar...

I get post tramatic syndrome...
something about fixing cars...
porting exhausts...

Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I put to much money in the car. I broke 2 3 bolt rear ends and I think I may be the only one who has snaped a rear axel on a 4 bolt rear end . After killing the tranny I sent it out to shepard and had him work his magic. Then 4 months later I sold the car

Old 06-23-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

i miss my 1g talon. it ran low 8's in the 1/8 mile, it wasnt a bike killer but it did smoke various v8's. sold it due to transmissions cracking left and right. i miss the feeling of boost coming in hard.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I only blew up 3 engines 1 turbo and1 head gasket and various other small parts... I loved those things... I know what your talking about with the money... if my dad wasnt a mechanic I woulda never been able to afford the 2 engine rebuilds (I gave up after the 3rd one blew...) I still might get one in a few years if the ball and chain will let me [:-]

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afboundguy

05ZX6R did you used to belong to NewEnglandDsm club?

That house looks familiar...
I have been a member of NewEngDSM since back in the day when it was just a Yahoo! group mailing list. That barn in the background belongs to another member, Matt T. I was dropping the car off for a friend to do a complete engine swap.

My member name is Name:  platesmall.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.2 KB

Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 AM

Running very high octane race fuel is a waste in a stock timed and compressed motor and will actually cause a loss in horse power.

Now if you are talking 93 and lower octane race fuel yes it is better.

Quick Reply: Premium fuel = better mileage???