Laid down Hard.. Broken bones.. now trying to piece it all together.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Default Laid down Hard.. Broken bones.. now trying to piece it all together.. help!

Initial bike 2000 Zx6R J1 Red

I recently laid down my bike very hard. Making a right hand turn from a stop at a red light. I made a stupid squid move tryin to save the bike when my back tire went over some antifreeze..
So Now it's been a month and my broken right shoulder blade and left forearm are usable.. So now that mobility is in hand I got to taking the bike apart today..

I took off all the fairings, plastics, and tank dropped it off at the shop to get painted..

So the bike was initially red.. He's going to paint everything blue..

I haven't taken the wheels off yet. I'm kinda scared to it seems like so much..

*I do have the big 325 page workshop manual..

Something tells me I'm not gonna make it to bike week in myrtle..

1. I'm having trouble getting the top of the triple tree off to put the replacement left handle bar on... I followed the directions except for putting the bike up on blocks. I don't have a stand for it....

2. I really dont' know how many options I have to do with the frame and wheels..

Is it a lot of work to take everything off the frame and get it painted? Chromed, or polished? I don't have a lot of money and I'm willing to do a lot of the work myself..

3.Is the bike rideable without the front upper fairing. It looks like it's neccesary to hold the head lights on...

4. My swingarm isn't bent but it is dented. I picked up a used one off ebay that's just really dirty but no scratches or dents for $9

I'm really lost at this point.. I did buy lowering (dogbones)linx but someone mentioned I'll have to shorten my kickstand too.. Is that true?

I'm only like 5'4-5'5 tall...

Here is a pic prior to the accident.. This is the day I bought it that was the previous owners helmet. My helmet was an ICON Mainframe Manic.. With the dragon head and teeth. It's trashed now though..

I'm just so overwhelmed. There is so much to do.. When I fell I broke off the bracket that holds the left foot peg and shifter linkage,,, the lil shifter linkage tie rod is bent pretty bad... Which I still have to order one. I couldn't find one on ebay and they're like 53 bucks from the dealership...

I wish there was someone in my area I knew that could come out to my storage shed and help me get this all back together..

I'm still clueless about the wheels..

I did see some rims and tires on ebay off a 2003.. We they fit my J1?

They were black and that would resolve my issues and save me a lot of time.. I could just paint the frame black instead of polishing it or chroming it...

Well I guess that's it for now.. I know I have a lot more questions now.. I did want to ask about extending my swingarm a few inches but I don't think that would make my life to much easier right now..

Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Laid down Hard.. Broken bones.. now trying to piece it all together.. help!

welcome to the forum.... you have quite a list there.... sorry about your fall.... even for some seasoned riders hitting a slick spot is difficult to save.... so first thing.... if the headlights are mounted to the top fairing, which i think they are.... then you would have to leave the top fairing on to ride the bike..... dropping your ride and cutting the kick stand would depend on how much you drop the bike and it will affect your leaning clearance..... the rims, i seen a bike with rims that match the color of the bike and it looks really nice..... but black rims looks good too..... black frame look good.... the chrome and polished frames looks nice, but very high maintenance..... and i don't know if the 03 rims would fit on your bike.... but go to the stealership and ask.... but hey if you have any other questions, you could always post here..... there lost of great people here willing to help.... good luck with your project... gear up and ride safe....

Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Laid down Hard.. Broken bones.. now trying to piece it all together.. help!

Thanks so much.. I just called the dealership and they said the 03's won't fit. I have been considering going with a black frame and black wheels. Much lower maint. I agree. I already dropped off all the plastics at the place to get painted so I guess I'm S.O.L on bike week. I'd like to find some peopel in my area that could help me out that will work for beer. LOL.. Ya know get a case and make a day of it. lol

Old 04-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to here about the wreck bro.

You should not have to remove the top of the triple tree to get the clip-on off, unless you are replace it with the bracket. If not the clip-on, handle bar should slide off after loosening the screws on the bracket. If still need to remove the top of the triple tree they or on real good and sometimes need a little persuasion like from a rubber mallet. Hit one side then the other and it will come up, same when reinstalling.

It sounds like a lot off damage for a slow get off but if you spun that rear and then high sided it that would explain the damage to the bike and you.

Hope the recovery is quick and the bike too.

Mike

Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

where do you live at? that might help you find people to help

Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That sux on your fall bro....... I live 1300 miles from ya, ot i would come over and help..... NC is just a bit far!!

Sounds like you all ready got things rollin in the right direction. To take everything off the frame, ya that's a lot of work. I'm guessing your wheels got messed up. Instrad of painting the frame, you might think about powder coating it, it will last a lot longer and stay shiny longer...

if you extend your swingarm, you're gonna lose a lot of the streetability on it. Unless you are only doing straight aways, don't do the extended swing...

GL man, at least you're healing!!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:47 PM

Guys, thanks a lot for the support.. I really dont' know a lot of people here in the raleigh area. That are riders.. It would be nice.. I'm going to try to be more organized taking this apart because at this point I have all the screws and such in 2 baggies... cause my bro was taking things apart when I wasn't there.. grrr... Patience right? lol I high sided really bad... The wheels are fine but they're red and I'm changing the bike over to blue.. Maybe I shoulda just bought a gsxr. lol it woulda saved the problem of wrecking to change to blue... hehe

Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about ya fall.... good thing your on the road to recovery though. About your wheels you should sand them down and polish them, or have them powder coated.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 PM

April 23rd

April 24th.. .I opted to get my plastics and tank back to wait to get painted.. I'm going to ride street fighter for now until the winter then completely dissaemble the bike to have my frame anodized and wheels powder coated..
Here is the pics from first day back running

And here what's left of stock stuff that has not been put on yet...

She started right up! Sounds beautiful! I still need to clean the chain, change the oil, and make sure the chain is tight! I love that micron can! Sounds Perfect!

Is there anything else I need to check and make sure is functional!?

Old 04-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Nice!