break-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Default break-in

Hello I am new to the forum. I just got an 06 zx6rr. I was curious about the break in on this bike. I felt it to be pretty strict and I was wondering if it was Kawi trying to cover there ***. Which is understandible or is it really that serious. I have about 150 mi on it right now and I have done my best to keep it below 4k but it is really hard considering I cant even go down the highway at that speed. Anyway feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Default RE: break-in

Ride it like ya stole it!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:19 PM

i just got mine two weeks ago, i got 450miles on it. i ride it under 4k as much as possible, occisionally hit it up to six on the freeway. i hear it's okay as long as your not rappin it out for the first few hundred miles. this is my first bike so i'm going the extra mile. after i get my 600mile service done i'm gonna riding to hell at no slower than 160mph

Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM

you will get many many opinions on it. they have done test after test, and the test i have personally seen shows no signs of hurting the motor... im not tellin ya what to do, but i broke mine in almost all the way right, then i started getting on it little by little. ur not gonna hurt it going up to six though, just dont give it a LOT of gas to get there and put a load on the motor, i think ive heard that isnt good for it. hope that helps

Old 04-20-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The motors and materials used nowadays are excellent as are the machining processes. I rod mine from Minnesota to Texas with only 51 mile on it and didn't really put too much thought at keeping within the recommended RPM's. I even took it up to 151 mph for a very short burst. The important thing to do is to keep varying you RPM's. Change the oil at the first recommended interval after a good warm up to drain all the fine metal dust from the parts wearing together. I took mine up to redline quite a few times for short bursts to seat the rings. I think Kawasaki recommends those parameters so you don't go out there and blow up the engine, but the all the race teams buy the bikes, prep it and go racing. They never see those mild RPM's and hold up fine on the track. I used to break-in my race bike during the practice before the race.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

But arent race motors rebuilt ona regular basis? now if they raced the same motor all season then maybe i would suggest breaking it in the way they do but thats not the case. but then again you know what they say about opinions. LOL I wouldnt baby it as much as the manufacturer says but i wouldn take it to redline either. but heavy acceleration every now and then isnt gonna hurt it just dont lug the engine by upshifting too early.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

The motors and materials used nowadays are excellent as are the machining processes. I rod mine from Minnesota to Texas with only 51 mile on it and didn't really put too much thought at keeping within the recommended RPM's. I even took it up to 151 mph for a very short burst. The important thing to do is to keep varying you RPM's. Change the oil at the first recommended interval after a good warm up to drain all the fine metal dust from the parts wearing together. I took mine up to redline quite a few times for short bursts to seat the rings. I think Kawasaki recommends those parameters so you don't go out there and blow up the engine, but the all the race teams buy the bikes, prep it and go racing. They never see those mild RPM's and hold up fine on the track. I used to break-in my race bike during the practice before the race.
I agree, "The important thing to do is to keep varying you RPM's", and change your oil like crazy. You'll probably break it in quicker and maybe even get more hp.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yes, definitely change the oil. And some race motors are rebuilt after a few races and some after every race (Factory teams). Most privateers run it almost the whole season specially if they aren't sponsored or can't afford it like I did. I was working just to barely afford my race habit.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the input. This is my first new bike and I really like it and would be pretty mad if I hurt it due to careless break-in. Also what is that exhaust valve in the down pipe coming from the muffler.
Thanks again

Old 04-20-2006, 02:04 PM

it's a top end power robbing pain in the a$$... lol

Quick Reply: break-in