i want to change the oil filter and oil.. steps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Default i want to change the oil filter and oil.. steps?

my bike is zx6r 02', do i just take the oil out 1st then change the filter?
do i have to put a little new oil, run the engine a bit, remove then put the whole thing in?
the filter thing looks like theres a large bolt will i be able to take it off by unscrewing that? pls help me out thanks!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE][the filter thing looks like theres a large bolt/QUOTE]

hmm, that means no manual, no tools, no understanding. and yes, I am giving you a hard time about not having a manual.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

lol nice Drag, everyone has a first time. Changing your own oil is the simplest thing to do and is the starting point for beginning maintenance and true ownership of a vehicle.

Sounds like you already have a little bit down (like where is the oil filter, cause I cant help you there) But here we go:
1: Locate oil filter and the oil drain on bottom of engine
2. Remove any plastics that will get in the way. Dont want them to get scratched or damaged
3. Place a catch pan below the oil drain and filter, and remove the oil drain plug (best to let the engine cool before doing this)
4. Remove the filter (some filters have a nut welded to the bottom to facilitate removal, yes turning that will remove the filter, otherwise use a filter wrench or if the last guy was smart you can remove it with just your hand)
Note: Some models have a Reusable filter with a changable cartridge, check your manual but I'm pretty sure yours doesn't.
5. After oil has drained, Clean and replace the drain plug and using a small amount of fresh oil wet the seal of the new filter before installing it (do not over tighten the filter, I always spin it on then tighten about a half turn to make sure that is it secure but can still be removed)
6. Add oil checking the level periodically. When the oil reaches the proper range run the engine momentarily to fill the filter then check the level and add oil if necessary, Do not overfill!
7. Replace the plastics, check for leaks and ensure all parts are installed properly then Gear up and ride
8. After the ride check again for leaks.

Have fun, and Welcome to KF!
Oh and the service manual is your friend