high speed wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default high speed wobbles

well today i was on the interstate and two trucks where driving around 100mph like right beside me and passed me after awhile and so i went between then , there was a lane between them btw, anyways i was prolly doing about 110 or 115 but the front end wobbled hard and i tapped the rear brake and it stopped. i have a 70 series front tire, original was a 65, would that hurt anything, also the wind was gusting very hard. ive cruised around 120mph without wobble but sometimes it will wobble. also could the way i ride effect anything. like not tucking down or keeping my toes pointing down, or my elblows sticking out. thanks

Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: high speed wobbles

I can't comment on your riding position, but a steering stabilzer would help.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:58 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I could have been the gust of wind that did that. If you had a really firm grip on the bike and you were fighting the wind it might make the bike do that.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

I could have been the gust of wind that did that. If you had a really firm grip on the bike and you were fighting the wind it might make the bike do that.
+1^
On a setup ride, a twitch is no biggey if you are comfy on the ride. Rider feedback on the bars is a key thing to remember. In fact, I am ready to toss my steering damper in the parts bin.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

+1^. Were you between he truck when the wobble started. If so it could have been the wind buffetting from the truck also. If you try to fight a wobble, it will get worse. Try to relax your grip and release the pull on the handlebars. The best thing to do during a tank slapper (severe wobble) is to take your hands off the bars and it will stop automatically.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

well this weekend i went out with about 15 guys and we hit the interstate alot and a few curves also, but i took my bike up into the triple digits and didnt get any headshake than normal. i figured out that its mostly my grip.NOW i tuck and put my elbows onto my knees and it kept the bars from moving , before i was having a loose grip and not locking my arms to good, i forget about the power and speed sometimes. since im holding the bars with more strength and locking my elbows to my knees , i ran up to close to topspeed without any headshake. i guess my arms were weak

Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you should not lock your elbows when riding also don't put your body weight on your hands. If you are holding your body up with your handle bars stop. It will make you get the tank slapper from hell. Try to keep as much of your weight off the bars as possible.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

You should always have your arms bent a little and keep a lose grip on the bars. if you grip them to tight you arn't going to get all the feed back from what the front tire is doing. Use your abs and back to hold your self up while on the bike.
I think it was Nicky hayden who said you should hold bars like you would hold a baby bird.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ill try all what you said. im still new to sport bikes , im used to riding motocross. thanks for the input

Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: candylighting

ill try all what you said. im still new to sport bikes , im used to riding motocross. thanks for the input
Riding is all the same bro. Stay loose and keep your key points together. And most of all feel comfortable on your ride.

Quick Reply: high speed wobbles