Front brake "shudder" anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Default Front brake "shudder" anyone?

Greetings.

My '06 has about 3k on it. I only use front brake and like to use it hard.

Since Sunday I've been expiriencing a little "shudder" when I don't apply the brake hard. It used to be a nice transition from no break to break ... but now I feel like there is some room between the pads and the disk. The calipper "bites" the disk with a little "knock". If I'm just using a little break some very minor "shudder" is experienced.

I'm guessing the pads are starting to wear out and there is more room. Is this how it is suppose to feel?

My other bike has 5K on her and doesn't do it ... but it is a naked and the ridding position facilitates using the rear brake.

Tx.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front brake "shudder" anyone?

How is the tire wear, any cupping?

Can't imagine you warping them already but it should be a consideration.

Are your pads wearing evenly?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Try bleeding your brakes. If it still does it, you may have warped the rotors.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 AM

I think warping should not be the issue here. I use front brake only .. but I mostly commute in 35-55 mph traffic. I brake late, but not to a point of heating breaks. I'm an "average" driver.

Shudder aside, when pads start wering off, is there a little "knock" (felt, not heard) while braking? Since the bike is new could it be that it is time for the shop to adjust/blead the brakes? I took it to the 600 service, but it didn't seemed they do much. I'll take it to the shop (still under guarantee) on Saturday.

Cheers.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Still under warranty, don't hesitate to take it to the shop.
But my two cents are that you may have cooked the fluid.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 PM

yeah i have alost been expirencing some shuttering when im going from little to medium breaking i start to get shuttering when i am beginning breaking. i dont see any warping so i dont know and the fluid still looks good but maybe it is the fluid.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM

Hey, I have approx. 2800km (in Canada) or about 1800miles on my '06 636 and since the past 50 miles or so I've been experienced something very similar to what you've described. From highspeed or even road speed there's no problems but soon as I slow and am almost at a stop I feel the 'knock'. Also when leaning into turns I sometimes feel a slight 'shift' just from the frontend of the bike that I've never experienced before. I've briefly checked the rotors, pads and calipers and everything seems fine. Didn't think of fluid though . . . I actually made an appointment to take it to my local dealer tomorrow so hopefully they can figure out the problem and I'll post the results . . . .

Old 07-27-2006, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also try spraying the rotors & pads with brake parts cleaner or Alcohol. You may have gotten some grease or oil even from your fingers and it could be causing the discs to shudder/ chatter. I have had cases where the brake pads were sticking/ dragging and causing the rotors to warp by overheating them.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Ian636

Hey, I have approx. 2800km (in Canada) or about 1800miles on my '06 636 and since the past 50 miles or so I've been experienced something very similar to what you've described. From highspeed or even road speed there's no problems but soon as I slow and am almost at a stop I feel the 'knock'. Also when leaning into turns I sometimes feel a slight 'shift' just from the frontend of the bike that I've never experienced before. I've briefly checked the rotors, pads and calipers and everything seems fine. Didn't think of fluid though . . . I actually made an appointment to take it to my local dealer tomorrow so hopefully they can figure out the problem and I'll post the results . . . .
doesnt that sound like head/streering or maybee wheel bearings??

Ben