Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)

Sounds like your getting some good help, You may want to contact the track day organizer and ask if any tuners will be there. Over here in cali Race Tech attends some track days and will set the sag on your bike for 20 bucks. Takes two guys about 10 mins to do it.

Worth the call for sure. Don't for get the pics from your track day and what track are you going to?

Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM

Yeah. I have my resources.

It's just getting the gremlins out of my head, that like to mess with me, saying the bike won't be the same regardless (even if I put it back to the way it is right now).

Nelson's Ledges is the next day if I can find enough cash to go, school books to buy first...

Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Regarding quickness of turn in...

I read in a European Mag (Bike I think it was) about turning in and cornering and discovered an element to countersteering that I hadn't noticed before. Countersteering is the most efficient method for getting a bike leaned in for a corner move the handlebars 5 or 6mm and the bike will lean say 10-15% (these numbers are arbitrary and merely illustrative, don't bust out yo' slide rules to prove me wrong). So let's say you are coming up on a long sweeping left turn. You gently countersteer and the bike leans over rather lazily and follows the meandering path, but at the apex you haven't moved the handlebars any more than 5mm. Coming into a sharper corner you countersteer again but this time instead of gradually easing the handlebars 5mm you push them there all at once...bam! the bike drops into the corner and you tag the apex and are gone. In both cases you move the handlebars the same distance but the quickness with which you traveled that distance made a huge difference in how fast you corner.

Based on my interpretation the force applied to the handlebars to countersteer should be fairly light once you have entered the turn. I've been practicing the technique of staing to the outside of the lane (center of the road for right handers, shoulder for lefts) becuase you can see further into the turn, and then turning in later (late apexing) and turning in faster. It makes a huge difference in how you momentum from curve to curve.

okay done being geekish

Old 08-19-2006, 02:16 AM

On blind corners I always stay on the outside of the corner avoiding the inside because an oncoming bike or car may misjudge and be slightly over the line on my side. If it was a road I didn’t know I would aim for slightly off the middle but never too close to the line. I was always trying to be safe and fast, not just fast. Of course this is road smarts and not desirable on the track.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: technophile

Regarding quickness of turn in...

I read in a European Mag (Bike I think it was) about turning in and cornering and discovered an element to countersteering that I hadn't noticed before. Countersteering is the most efficient method for getting a bike leaned in for a corner move the handlebars 5 or 6mm and the bike will lean say 10-15% (these numbers are arbitrary and merely illustrative, don't bust out yo' slide rules to prove me wrong). So let's say you are coming up on a long sweeping left turn. You gently countersteer and the bike leans over rather lazily and follows the meandering path, but at the apex you haven't moved the handlebars any more than 5mm. Coming into a sharper corner you countersteer again but this time instead of gradually easing the handlebars 5mm you push them there all at once...bam! the bike drops into the corner and you tag the apex and are gone. In both cases you move the handlebars the same distance but the quickness with which you traveled that distance made a huge difference in how fast you corner.

Based on my interpretation the force applied to the handlebars to countersteer should be fairly light once you have entered the turn. I've been practicing the technique of staing to the outside of the lane (center of the road for right handers, shoulder for lefts) becuase you can see further into the turn, and then turning in later (late apexing) and turning in faster. It makes a huge difference in how you momentum from curve to curve.

okay done being geekish

Read Keith Codes: Twist of the Wrist. It's all explained very well in that book.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i think i have the answer to..

Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)

answer: pay one of the haydens to ride it

Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

answer: pay one of the haydens to ride it
They're too busy; I'll ride it for you. Give me your address. Better yet, meet me at a track nearest you.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

How about this answer, "Push on your bars harder"

Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My bike steers very quick I think. When I first got it, I felt it was too quick. I just thought about turning and it was there. Had to stop it from going further. It's all rider input, body positioning & timing. Practice makes perfect. Have you got & read the book yet?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xrider

Is this a common thing to do? I just don't want to do something ill advised (not that gotrice would push something too ill advised).

Is this as easy as it looks to do? I mean the tube are up about 10mm right now (from the top of the fat tube) so just loosen the bolts and dropping it another 5 seems simple and won't require changing brake or clutch levers. I guess I would drop the clip-ons first and tighten them so no matter what the tube can't fall more than 6 mm. I'll leave about 1mm like there is now between the clip-ons and the tube.
I just noticed in your earlier reply that you already had the tubes pushed up 10mm. That's a lot and if you still find it steering slow, then it's some other problem. And you're not a new rider. What tire pressures are you running. Low pressure will cause slow steering also. Maybe you just have to get used to these bikes. If you're still not happy, you can get a set of 16.5 inch race wheels. Might have a hard time finding tires though.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)