didnt start the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Default didnt start the first time...

alright so i decided not to use the caps lock anymore...but anyway i tried starting my bike the other day but it wouldnt start. At firstI waspushing the start button and it sounded like it was going to rev. I shhook it around walked it up on neutral since i figured it was sitting for 2 weeks. i then got on it and tried starting it but again it wouldnt start. It actually was makin a clicking noise only like once. It made the clicking noise once andit wouldnt do it agianuntil i took my finger off the start button and pushed it again.. Anyway i was suppossed to spend my afternoon turning on my bike for the first time but it didnt start at all so i gave up. I called the guy that sold it to me but he said it never gave him that problem. I called kawasaki and they said it is showing signs of a dead battery. i figured i let it rest and try antoher day to figure it out...any advice or ideas from any of you guys would be appreciated ...thanx.

from a determined rider who wants to ride his new bike already.....!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: didnt start the first time...

sound like a dead battery to me, try chargin it for alittle while and see if it will start then

Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Charge the battery and you will be good to go. Also, if the bike is going to sit for more than a few days, put a battery tender on it to keep the battery charged. You can get them for less than $20.

Also, if you really want to ride right away or you are stuck somewhere with a dead battery, you can pop start it. Just put it in 2nd gear, put the key in the ON position, get a rolling start on pavement and then let out the clutch while giving it a little gas. It should turn over and you can quickly pull the clutch back in so it doesn't take off.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The battery shouldn't go dead in 2 weeks. You may have a loose or weak battery connection. Take off the terminals, clean them with a wire brush and re-install.Fully charge the battery before re-installation. Poor connections can lead to the battery not charging or slowly dischargingand it will cause a film of oxidation to form between the battery & terminals. It happens more when it's really cold and if the bike isn't ridden for weeks at a time. You can buy a battery tender/ maintainerfrom harbor freight or on ebay for about $15 or less. I have seen them as low as $7 at Harbor freight.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

The battery shouldn't go dead in 2 weeks. You may have a loose or weak battery connection. Take off the terminals, clean them with a wire brush and re-install.Fully charge the battery before re-installation. Poor connections can lead to the battery not charging or slowly dischargingand it will cause a film of oxidation to form between the battery & terminals. It happens more when it's really cold and if the bike isn't ridden for weeks at a time. You can buy a battery tender/ maintainerfrom harbor freight or on ebay for about $15 or less. I have seen them as low as $7 at Harbor freight.
+1 ;]

Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Speed may be right as usual...been there done that myself

Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

also be careful not to remove the key in the wrong position. i learned that the hard way draining my battery once.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

keep us posted!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, i like to know what the answer was. it helps build up my database of info on fixing stuff.