chain CLUNK during wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default chain CLUNK during wheelies

sup fellas, i had my first service a few weeks ago. i had a heavy clunk in the front sprocket area a couple of times in the first part of a couple wheelies so i told the guys at the dealership about it and that it was likely a chain tension issue. well it happened again the other day on the way up in a wussy wheelie ( still gettin used to her lol) so i checked out the alignment on the rear axle. and much to my surprise it's out about an 1/8 of an inch from side to side, according to the adjustment marks on the swing arm. i don't have a service manual on the bike yet but i'm sure that they are supposed to be the same on either side. any advice would be appreciated. my old bike i had converted to the .52 chain and went up 2 teeth on the back sprocket and other than a bit of chain noise i NEVER heard a clunk. and that old bugger had the front wheel in the air quite often.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: chain CLUNK during wheelies

yes, your chain alignment marks must be even on both sides, also check the torque on the rear axle, somethings not right. do you have any chain/sprocket alignment tools ?

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ew, crab alignment on 2 wheeled vehicles is bad-
(crab, you know like how crabs run sideways. you see it on a lot of junker trucks and cars where they are driving crooked down the road, they can get away with it. but on a 2 wheeled vehicle its dangerous)

Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

i am a bit of a backyard mechanic, so i do have a bunch of tools. but are there any specialty tools that i will need? it looks to me like i just pull the cotter pin outta the axle, loosen the nut on the left side and the turn the adjustment bolts til they line up. if i'm wrong please feel free to step in and let me know. i REALLY like this bike and i don't wanna do anything to mess her up.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 PM

I think you got it. But make sure to double check your chain.

Adjusting one side the slightest bit will make aBIG difference in how tight your chain is.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

i assume this applies to motorcycles to, but when it came to bikes always adjust the chain side first, get the tension close but just a hair under then adjust the other side, it will pull the chain into tension.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:23 PM

That makes sense

Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet, thanx for the replies. i'll get out there and do that today. maybe i'll get my better half to take a few wheelie pix to post afterwards....on a closed road or race track of course lol.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: evil636

yes, your chain alignment marks must be even on both sides, also check the torque on the rear axle, somethings not right. do you have any chain/sprocket alignment tools ?
just a quick add, man i love your avitars evil, wish my wife would have some fun like that

Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Dude, that is your wife

Quick Reply: chain CLUNK during wheelies