2005 ZX-6R Speedometer Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2005 ZX-6R Speedometer Slow?

I was wondering if anyone has noticed their speedometer being 5mph slow? I have had my bike two weeks and I noticed it is about 5 mph slower. My buddy also got a 2005 ZX-6R at the same time. His too is slow. I know it is slow being I had someone drive three different cars on the highway. They set the cruise to 65mph. For me to stay even pace with them I had to do all of 70. Maybe even 71 or 72. It is at least 5mph slow. I took it to the shop for the 600 mile break in and asked them to check it. They said it was up to "industry standards". Everything is still stock on it except the front turning signals are now EURO's and the taillight has the built in turning signals. None of which would affect the speedometer. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 ZX-6R Speedometer Slow?

Most speedos are out of adjustment by 2-3% from the factory maybe more. That’s what the stealer (dealer) ment by industry standard.
If you guys have not replaced any sprockets it's probably just that.
You can get aftermarket parts to fix it, 1 speedo healer or yellow box are the most popular. I have the speedo healer and it works fine.
Good thing is that when you do replace sprockets you will already be set up to adjust your speedo.

Hope this helps. www.speedohealer.com or search yellow box.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 AM

their has been a couple of big post on this, they (people) say they are up to 10% off, who knows, but we have ALL come to the conclusion that the speedo is def off

Old 08-26-2005, 03:47 AM

Just to let you know that the speedohealer for the 05 636 will not be plug n play-EVER[:@][:@][:@]. Mine willbe here saturday. I just got an email from the guy i bought it from and this is what speedohealer told him:

Ok..heres the scoop

Speedohealer is not going to make a plug in kit for the 05 636. Kawi designed some strange connection that maeks it cost prohibitive. Right now I am verifying wether or not you ca use a regular kawisaki healer and just cut the connectors off.

Ill email you back with the info

Thanks

cory

I will let you know what i find out. If i am able to do it myself i will post it in DIY. The guy i am getting it from may make me a custom harness or atleast give me the stuff to do it. Either way you all will get the info when i do. Also he is giving me the wiring diagram that speedohealer gives to all of the install dealers!!!!! cool!!! It will be in pdf when i get it.

If all goes well i will have it in by Sunday Night!!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

That sucks. You should call them direct though just to here it from the horses mouth. When I ordered one for my R1 it came plug n play and the site said that I would have to wire it. Guess I got lucky.
One way or another if you went yellow box you would still have to wire it.
Post back how it goes.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 AM

I did email them before i bought it, but they said they just didnt have one yet. They never said that they were never making one[:@] As for the yellow box, i almost bought one, but i heard to many bad reviews on them.(plus you also have to wire it up) But who knows, maybe i can come up with my own harness

Old 08-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ypu will be all right. Check there site they had real good instructions for the hard wiring and they answer the phone.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it's pretty common with Kawasaki's. My '01 ZRX is about 10% off. I've compared mine with my GPS. This will also make the odometer off. The mileage on the odometer is about 5 miles more than on my GPS.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not very failure with speedohealer or yellow box. I am assuming it mounts to the motorcycle and stays on the motorcycle? It is not something that will recalibrate the bike and can be removed? Is one better than another?? What price range do they normally run? Are they very hard to install?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

hey notstock, what size sprocket could i use to correct the speedo????

Quick Reply: 2005 ZX-6R Speedometer Slow?