05 636 aftermarket upper triple and clip ons

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Default RE: 05 636 aftermarket upper triple and clip ons

I don't mind at all ... I laid it down a few weeks ago in a low-ender.

I've been replacing all the busted parts (except the plastic at this point).

I found a bolt laying on the ground whereI laid it down (the night before) so I picked it up. It was a mystery bolt for a week or two. I couldn't find out where it went (if it was even from my bike).

As I was checking out by left bar (removing the bar end) I found where the "mystery bolt" went. When I dumped it, the bolt hole on the under side of the top clamp busted out. This is the positioning bolt for the clip on.

I want to find a billet forget top triple clamp; thus my inquiry if this post has had any luck, 'cause I haven't.

My solution for a quick fix is to drill through the top clamp where the ripped out bolt hole location was and put a new bolt through the top clamp and the hole in the clip on. This is a temporary fix for now but I'm sure it will hold just as well as a threaded bolt hole in the casting. I'm going to do this tonight (just bought a very nice, very expensive titanium drill bit for the job).

One guy at the "other" forum said he would just torque down the clamping bolt on the clip-on. I don't like that idea at all. That clamp isn't going to hold unless you really torque it pastthe recommendedft/lbs; plus you may crimp the fork tube. I want a position bolt so I know the clip-on is not going to rotate on me if I go down again.

Hope that helps.
hank

Old 12-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

hank, youll snap the clip on pinch bolts before you ever come close to colapsing the fork tube. them things are hard core. might be a tempoary fix for now if your itching to ride. wouldnt recamend it but itll be ok.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM

Done deal. Drilled it through last night. Measured for the bolt length. It will be finished today.

I suppose I'm just hard headed. The bolt torque for the clip-on clamp is ~7.5 ft/lbs. That's not much. For some reason kawi designed the clip-on clamp that way. I would be very wary if I torqued that bolt to 15 or 20 ft/lbs when it wasn't designed for it.

I hit hard enough for the bolt hole to shear out of the triple clamp and the clip-on (aka left handle bar) didn't snap, bend or do anything. It seems my clip-ons are quite stout.

This quick fix is going to do the trick. Now that I've got it about done, I think my fix is going to work very well.

When I get done I'll take pics ... I may have described what I was doing too vague to visualize what I'm doing.

thanks for the input