How much should I pay for this 06 650r?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How much should I pay for this 06 650r?

ORIGINAL: sonyab523

Yeah but will it break? I don't ride on the freeway, my daily commutes are on 25-40 mph roads.
It is hard to say, but even the one you posted doesn't look safe to me. I would rather spend $80 on something then spend $160 to see if it works, and if it doesn't then you are not out as much.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: jperkins812

ORIGINAL: sonyab523

Yeah but will it break? I don't ride on the freeway, my daily commutes are on 25-40 mph roads.
It is hard to say, but even the one you posted doesn't look safe to me. I would rather spend $80 on something then spend $160 to see if it works, and if it doesn't then you are not out as much.

I couldn't find it on ebay, can you give me the link? This doesn't seem like the right bike for my height. Maybe I should stick with a GSXR or a 08 250 or something. It sucks to have to spend an extra $800 due to height issues.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM

The Hagon shock is only about $400(@davequinnmotorcycles.com). Look at it this way, he already has you all set-up in the front with the clip-on's to lower the front to any height you'd like, and $3500 is a good price for one with only 8000 miles on it, what's another $400? It's also a performance upgrade over the stock shock. I think if you don't buy it someone else will,esp. with all those nice mods on it. This bike gets better gas mileage than any middleweight bike out there and has enough torque to keep up with most any of them up to 80mph. With it's great mpg the shock will pay for itself.

I've read that those lowering links only really lower it about 1", and others have had to grind stuff for clearance, but I'm not sure. I do know that if that metal failed at 80mph I wouldn't be a happy camper, lol. I've also read mixed reviews of the Kawasaki lowered seat, like it really only feels like a 1/2" drop.

Here'sa link w/ pics of the Hagon. The Penske is only good for 1.5"I believe, whileHagon can do any size drop you want.
http://riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=33924

Good luck! Actually after re-reading your post you might be happier with the 250R since you don't ride on the freeway. It's about maybe 60 lbs lighter, but after dealer set-up and freight it may end up costing more than the 650R, and won't be as lowered. Oh yeah, and it's carburated, not fuel injected like the 650R, so whenyou first start it up you might have to let it sit there and warm up for 3 minutes or so [:@]

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

From looking at the picture of that I do not know if I would want to go any lower than 1.5", because the rear tire looks like it is getting really close to touching the battery box. It maybe a good idea to go look at the new 08 250, because I looked at one the other day while at the bike shop and they were only going fo $3,400 on the sticker. The Hagon would be another choice(forgot about that one), but you are still looking alittle over $400 for the shock.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 AM

Well the guy wants $3,500 firm for it stock, I guess he's good with bikes and offered to try and make me a lowering link to get me my 3 inches. So is $3,500 a good deal or not.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 AM

I've never seen one for less than $4300 on Craigs List, so yeah I think it's a great deal. If you don't like the loudermuffler ask if he still has the original. I love the stealth stock one. Cops can't hear you

Make sure there's no scratches on it, indicating it was dropped. If you have to park outside I'd recommend getting a paging alarm system with ignition kill and perimeter sensor. I have the Scorpio brand SRi500 model and love it. The perimeter sensor has two stages, so if they get close it chirps twice, then if they get even closer it chirps faster eight times. Then if they continue to loiter around it go's off and pages the remote. I also have comprehensive insurance, but I paid $6800 for mine after dealer set-up and freight and they'd probably only write me a check for $4000 or so if it got stolen. I also have a 3/8" shot-peened chain and lock I used to chain the rear wheel to something before I got around to getting the alarm. It only takes 2-3 people to lift the bike up and carry it to a flatbed truck, and unlike your car, the ignition is very vulnerable not being protected behind glass and steel, hence the ignition kill feature on my alarm.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:27 PM

But what am I suppose to do about the seat height issue, this is a nice increase in weight and I need the extra balance. I feel if I can't get it lowered 2 inches then I won't have the balance

Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about clearance issues with the battery box, this guy chopped his spring which dropped his like 4":
http://www.ninja650.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9694
but unfortunately he deleted his photobucket pics of it. I would never chop my spring though. The stock shock doesn't have that much travel and also you'll loose your pre-load(the spring won't have the right amount of tension)

I would get the 3" Hagon shock and then have the forks dropped 3" through the clip-on's to match. 2" prob. isn't enough if you really want to be solid on the ground. But you say you're looking to save money so I guess you could try the 2" lowering link. Ifit doesn'tdrop it 2" as advertised you can always complain, try to get your money back, and get the Hagon later.

R&G sliders will protect it against any low speed drops, trust me, they are a must. This hobby isn't cheap[8D]Maybe the people who reported thatthe 2" lowering linkreally only feltlike 1" didn't lower the front enough to match. Esp. if you lower the front like 3" the 2" link might get it low enough for you, and having the front 1" lower than the rear helps turn-in so you'll navigate traffic islands and such easier. But then you should get your kickstand chopped or heated up and bent outward to match the drop. It needs to lean over onto the kickstand or it will get blown over. Shoot, people with covers on theirs have had them blown over anyways, I park mine next to a wall to avoid that. If you go with the lowering link and keep the stock shock don't forget to adjust it's pre-load to your weight. It has a ring on it with seven notches that you usethe hook shaped tool from the kit under the seat to turn. It's in the owners manual with pics and a rider weightindex. This will also help drop the seat height some when you get on it. The owners manual is a must for any bike, it has essential maintenance info that could save your life, like proper chain slack and how to adjust it.

Or get a nice powerful 250cc Vespa, or the Buell Blast has a super low adjustable seat height. Or keep lookingat Craigs List/Ebay/local dealersfor a bike that hasalready been lowered. Cruisers have low seats.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Lowering links won't work, listen to the advice everyone is giving you and get new shocks, they are safer and better than the cheap ebay links and will give you a BETTER ride than stock

Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: tochenzo

get new shocks
It'a actually just one shock in the rear she needs,the front forkssimply slide upwards in the triple tree clamps to determine ride height in the frontbut yeah, good advise nonetheless. Income tax bonus to the rescue, lol.

PS It'scalled the "shock", but that entails a new spring, shock absorber, and the assembly that houses them both.Unlike a hunk of metal lowering link, this stuff is expensive, lol.