Used 500??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Default Used 500??

I'm looking to buy my first bike, and I'm looking for either a 250 or a 500.

I'd prefer to buy a used bike, but I also don't have the time to run around trying to find a decent one. It appears they're snapped up pretty quick!! Buying a new one would cost more but cause me to worry less (at least about what I'm getting).

Anyway, does anyone have any tips about buyinga used bike?

I may go look at a 2006 500R with 1200 miles. The guy's asking 3500. Besides asking for maintance records, looking for obvious damage, and checking out the owner, what else should I look for?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Default RE: Used 500??

Don't know what to suggest other than taking it for a spin to see how it handles, running it through its gears, checking to see all the electrical system and brakes work fine, etc.

Sounds like a more thangood deal to me at that price; its a great bikeespecially ifyou're just starting out and there's people in this forum who've boughtthem again rather than buying a bigger bike the next time around.

I think most people will tell you the same thing I keep saying; don't buy a 250 if you're going to be riding regularly. They're good to learn on but you'll outgrow it in a few weeks.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The best (and naturally least-heeded) tip for buying used bikes is to buy when there's snow on the ground.
Truly. Buy your bike in the winter. Right now is nearly the worst time to buy a bike. (At least you're not buying it in May/June, which is absolutely the best time to SELL a bike, but the worst time to buy one. Need proof? Okay, here's your proof:
Right now you're thinking, "Okay, that's fine and good, thanks. But I want the bike right now, while the weather's good, the roads are dry and I have money."

Check the usual stuff:
~Is the chain in decent shape? More importantly, has it ever been adjusted?--Take a look at the bolts and locknuts in the swingarm that are used to push the rear axle backward, to adjust the chain. Are they clean and do they show evidence that a loving hand has been adjusting and wiping them, or are they caked with grease/grime?
~What color is the oil and where is the oil level? Unfortunately, some owners believe that the oil level (on the right side of the bike, to the right and below the crankcase cover) should be in the middle of the glass with the bike on the sidestand. The oil should be level with the bike level (not on the centerstand) and after only 1200 miles, it should still be honey/amber-colored.
~Does he have an aftermarket exhaust on it? (This is NOT a plus.) If so, has he been screwing around with the jetting? (Most of us don't know what the heck we're talking about when it comes to carburetors, and the best bike is one that still has the original, showroom settings.)
~Does he have any tatoos or facial piercings? (This is just a personal thing, but chances are if he's one of those X-gamers who is going to be buying an Hayabusa after he unloads this bike on you, that he did not show the proper mechanical empathy and care with this bike.)
Good luck and let us know if any more questions or info comes up.
Peace!
-CCinC
P.S. I bought a 2002 500 with only 202 miles on it from a Harley dealership for only $2900. (But the bike was in Fort Collins, CO and there was still 6 inches of snow on the ground when I picked it up.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice write up calamarichris