starter issues..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: starter issues..

This sounds again like you're overfilling the fuel tank. (See my first response.)
You say it happened when you left the bike in the hot sun (which would cause the gasoline in the tank to expand and overflow into the charcoal canister); then you say it happened again when you filled the bike up.
The next time you fill the bike up, leave it on the side stand (don't put it on the centerstand as I've seen some guys do) and don't fill it to the point that there's fuel in the neck.
Also these short hops are could be fouling your plugs and causing this. Take the bike for a 30-mile ride on the freeway to clean the plugs (and drain the evap system in case that's the problem.
Not positive this is what's causing the problem, but you might as well eliminate it as a possible cause. Where do you live?
-CCinC

Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ok update time.....yes i meant the a/f was 1/2 gone...idk how long it was like that but its replaced now. we messed w/ the pepcock/pipcock(whichever its called), dbl checked the vent tube on the tank, idk its started everytime...i did hear from a guy who said his pepcock on his 3 wheeler has a screen in it he has to clean every spring...idk could that b a possibility? o and one more thing i wasnt to sure on the tank filling up thing ...but why take a chance i use the side stand now :P
missouri is where i am (and its freakin extremely humid round these here parts) and currently 95+degrees as of late

Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

sometimes my bike doesnt want to start either. it will just sit there and click the solenoid over and over. it would do it for any amount of time from 30 seconds to an hour, then it would just magically start...

what i do when it does that,and its worked like a charm and started every time since then, is this:

1. put it in first gear and put the kickstand up
2. with the clutch out, press in the starter button and hold it down.
3. push the bike forward and pull in the clutch at the same time.

that usually does it for me and it fires right up. your milage may vary

Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dragknee

sometimes my bike doesnt want to start either. it will just sit there and click the solenoid over and over. it would do it for any amount of time from 30 seconds to an hour, then it would just magically start...

what i do when it does that,and its worked like a charm and started every time since then, is this:

1. put it in first gear and put the kickstand up
2. with the clutch out, press in the starter button and hold it down.
3. push the bike forward and pull in the clutch at the same time.

that usually does it for me and it fires right up. your milage may vary
This sounds like a completely different problem. If it just clicks then your Starter is probably toast. The easiest way to check it is to push the start button and the tap directly on the starter with the handle of a heavy screw driver. Keep tapping until the starter engages and cranks over the engine. This won't help you with the other problem though, where the bike cranks over but doesn't get either spark or fuel. This is all basic mechanics 101 and any competent tech should have fixed it for you by now.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

all these problems started w/ the gas cap havin to b popped open occasionally...then it wouldnt start after it was run a bit...now it dies after its run awhile....cracking the carb bowls lets it restart,which introduces air into the system....so apparently im gonna replace the gas tank cap and see how things work out...

im not a competant mechanic 101 person ...but im tryin to learn as i go...

Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

well, its not an every day kind of thing... sometimes i jump on and it fires right up, no problems...

i kind of think its a switch problem because if the bike is in neutral and it does it, it will click repeatedly. if i pull in the clutch it will only click once.

if i put it in first and pull in the clutch it will click once also.

but like i said, sometimes it works fine... maybe the starter has a flat spot on it or something...

Old 08-19-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

...........Like I said...........when it's just clicking, Tap it lightly with a ball peen hammer or something and that'll "Jar" it enough to work through the flat spot. It really sounds like the Starter is bad or possibly the battery is on it's last legs.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry im havin trouble quotin...

Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just a thought, make sure your connections are clean and tight on your starter.
(Gerry, you took me back a few years. I had an old Grand Prix that I crawled under too many times to bang on the starter. Not bad, as long as you're not dressed for work or it's raining...) Thanks for the memories....I think.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeffzx9

Just a thought, make sure your connections are clean and tight on your starter.
(Gerry, you took me back a few years. I had an old Grand Prix that I crawled under too many times to bang on the starter. Not bad, as long as you're not dressed for work or it's raining...) Thanks for the memories....I think.
Yeah, I guess we all have had our share of "Phantom" Issues with a vehicle at one time or another. I had a Sable Alternator catch on fire after months of intermittant stalling and no starting. It always charged the Battery but it was putting out too much A/C voltage and causing problems. When I put the new Alternator, It ran like a watch for 5 years after I gave it to my brother in law.